Strange yellow drip

FlagChick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
Flagstaff, AZ
I have a white leghorn that is very unhappy about our freezing cold weather and all of the snow on the ground. She hasn't come out of the the coop in a few days, and I'm not sure if she's eating or drinking. This morning I noticed that she has a thick, yellowish discharge (sorry, I really hate that word!) coming from her rear end. She's breathing a little heavy. Anyone know what this could be or what I should do? Someone suggested it could an egg yolk, but I don't think that's it. Any info would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds like an egg busted inside of her
hmm.png
Can you get pictures?

I agree. I've moved her into my laundry room and tried doing some warm water soaks, but no change so far. Do you know what kind of time frame it might take her to lay an egg assuming the relaxation helped? I don't want to let her go for days in pain and then find her on the floor.

If you can stick your finger up her vent and try and feel for any broken eggshells. I'm hoping someone else comes along and gives you some better advice

I did feel around a little bit inside her vent, which seemed to be really uncomfortable. I couldn't feel anything and didn't know what do if I did feel something in there. I'm hoping the warmth of being inside will help her relax and maybe pass the egg, but it sounds like from what I've read, that's not likely:(

Sweet little Chirper died tonight. After four days of nursing the poor girl, she finally gave out. From what my husband and I found, it looked like she was an internal layer, and possibly egg bound too. Is that possible? We found an egg yolk mass (size of golf ball) and a jelly-like mass (size of quarter) in her oviduct, and another yolk in her abdominal cavity. She wasn't fitting any description very well, so it was difficult to know what was really happening with her. Last night I suspected worms because she had yellow poop, and I figured she wouldn't be passing yolks if she was an internal layer or egg bound - but maybe there was such a large build-up that they had to come out?? Sadly, it's been a great learning experience, one that I hope doesn't happen again. She was such a nice little chicken, and she'll be missed.

Back
Top Bottom