Strangest pet you or someone you know has owned?

I used to have giant black African millipedes, Madagascar hissing cockroaches, rose hair tarantulas and a monkey tailed skink named Ezmerelda. Not to mention all the different types of boa's, pythons and other reptiles. I miss all of them!

Have had as pets:
Timber wolves
Canadian Lynx
Ferrets
Sugar Gliders
Squirrel Monkey
Cayman
Quail

I used to do exotic animal and wildlife rescue / rehab, so I've had things like anacondas in the bath tub, tigers in the basement, leopards in my bed, and giant iguanas or komodo dragons sunning themselves on my driveway.

All of the above pets were rescues in one form or another. They weren't purchased for the 'cool' factor, and I tend to try to discourage people from having primates, big cats, or wolves as pets.
-Spooky

The people I worked with at my first "real" job (still in HS), raised Mountain Lions (I'm not sure why) and they would bring them into the office from time to time. One time the mama cat had a vet appointment later in the day, so they asked if she could hang out at the front desk with me. Of course she could! She had a big cat bed that she curled up on behind my desk and was quite content. Some guy who was lost walked into the office to ask directions. Ramona was curious about who this new person was, so casually walked around the desk to check him out. I've never seen anyone back up out a door so fast
lol.png

Liz

Here is my list of weird pets i had at one time or still have. I had a chipmunk,african soft furred rats(evil animals), dwarf puffer fish, i raised a baby robin, i had kenyan sand boas... Right now the strangest thing i own is a Alligator Snapping turtle named "Turtlie".Around here people already think chickens are strange.Oh and friends back in Fl ave antiopes, rheas and Zedonks and other asstorted crazy stuff.

Last edited:
I met a man years ago that was down at Tucker Town dam catching net fulls of shad. he was placing them directly in a bucket with no water. I asked him what was he doing. He said catching cat food. I thought that was kinda strange so I asked how big are your cats?? He said one is 25 # and the other is 45#. He said I have them in the car if you would like to look at them. I had to see a 45 # cat.

When I got to the car her sure did have 2 cats. They did weight what he said. They were bobcats. They were waiting for their snack. He threw a handful down and opened the door. They were the most beautiful animals I have ever seen. They purred just like a house cat. I asked him all kinds of questions about them. He said he had a puppy that those cats would torment. The cats would hunt the puppy and stalk it down. They would attack but with claws in and they did not bite him. He said it was hilarious.

He found them when they were babies. They mother had been shot and the kittens were left to die. He found them and took them in. He had to get a permit to keep them and he took them to the vet to get their shots.

They were the coolest pets I have ever seen. He said they slept at the foot of his bed. He had them both fixed so they could not reproduce. He said he regrets it but the male would get grumpy at breeding time.

Darin

You mean like this?
smile.png

010520092742[1].jpg

We also have the "standard" strange pets.....3 snakes a rainbow colored lizard, a scorpion, a dead tarantula (yes, dead, we just haven't thrown it out yet), my husband thinks my puppy is strange (chihuahua and a bunch of other assorted stuff). LOL

I have always had all sorts of pets around. The most unusual have been a monkey, possum, squirrel, skunk, and hedgehog. The skunk was one of the best pets we have ever had. Hope I can have another one day!

Back
Top Bottom