1. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    Now that summer weather is over, we're going to be getting lots of rain.. which means muddy chicken yard :lol:
    We already had 2 days of rain anyway so we need to put down either straw or hay.

Between straw or hay, which is better?

I don't need any other suggestions, my dad is set on one of these two choices and there's no changing his mind.
    We're going to the feed store later today after he gets home.

HuffleClaw and Duck_life like this.
  2. AviansLove

AviansLove Chirping

Sep 10, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I use straw but I have never used hay so I can't say which is better, straw does get wet and for me normally gone in a month.

HuffleClaw and Duck_life like this.
  3. so lucky

so lucky Crowing

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    I think I read here (or somewhere) that straw has hollow stems and holds more water longer. Hay is not hollow. They both get stinky and moldy if wet with no air circulation.

HuffleClaw, Duck_life and AviansLove like this.
  4. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    I use straw, i'm agreeing with what everyone above said.

HuffleClaw likes this.
  5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller

Use rice hulls... naturally water repellent Light to work with and a by product of the rice industry... Yes we do get gully washers of rain in the desert... and by the time the rain is over the top is drying.... Course the ground is very pourous here.

The chickens love em and spread them out on their own looking for little bits of rice left....

Not available every where... but Mallard Hill is the manufacturer Xpensive a bit... But I found one bag of hulls when applied is eqal to one and a half bags of shavings. At least for my horse....

deb

HuffleClaw likes this.
  6. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    Thanks everyone! :)
    Looks like we're getting straw!

HuffleClaw likes this.
  7. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Wrangling Ducks

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama (Southern USA)
    I use hay... but, sand is really good too (of course - if it is an option for you), which it isn’t... :)

8. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    for run I would go with straw, though I go keep a small bale of hay that they seem to like to munch on when theres not fresh greens in the yard

9. jreardon1918

jreardon1918 Songster

Jul 13, 2016
    Southeast, MA
    My Coop
    I know you are looking for just hay or straw... But do you have some/all of the run covered? If not, that might be a long term solution to wet and muddy. We are getting a soaking rain right now. The covered run is pretty dry.

10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

In winter I use pine shavings with a bed of straw over top. Straw is hollow so holds in body heat. Hay is feed and has zero warmth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: