stray chicken in the neighborhood

kanami

Chirping
May 16, 2022
hi guys, recently this chicken appeared in my neighborhood, no idea whose it is. no idea of the breed or anything either. he/her appears sometimes, randomly. these are the best photos i’ve got! anything helps. it snuck into my yard today and my girls ran him/her out.

i almost want to take him/her in but don’t really know how to go about that, considering possible illnesses that could happen and i don’t even know how old it might be.

Attachments

• 7FC61FD9-027E-4D43-BC2A-D4D389632B61.jpeg
    7FC61FD9-027E-4D43-BC2A-D4D389632B61.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 9D895995-C07E-4D1F-891B-00B78C13EC65.jpeg
    9D895995-C07E-4D1F-891B-00B78C13EC65.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
If you catch, quarantine. I think recommended is at least two weeks separate to ensure no signs of any illness, normal poop, physical checks for feather mites, lice, or scaly leg mites. After that you'd need a good look but no touch setup until your flock adjusts enough to allow her in, which is probably several more weeks.

For the record I also had a stray visitor earlier this year. I couldn't catch her, but would have done the above if no one claimed her. Unfortunately it is super hard to catch an untamed, unfenced chicken (at least for humans). The local predators had no such problems, alas. I count my chickens a lot more often now!! Best of luck to you however you decide to handle this.

I've just been googling around, and it does (granted she didn't allow a very clear picture) rather like an Old English Game Fowl. I can't tell if she's shiny or even if her body is black for sure but she resembles the darker hens in the beginning of this video, at least to me:

It looks like some kind of game hen. Try to catch her, and keep her in a quarantine cage for a week or more to see if she is sick. Then you can slowly introduce her to your other chickens.

I've just been googling around, and it does (granted she didn't allow a very clear picture) rather like an Old English Game Fowl. I can't tell if she's shiny or even if her body is black for sure but she resembles the darker hens in the beginning of this video, at least to me:
thank you! i had to take these photos through the fence😅

Back
Top Bottom