Stray duckling adopted me ... now what

Lindsay Carter

In the Brooder
May 18, 2017
Hi, Everyone,

I live on a small hobby farm on a lake, so we are used to seeing tons of ducks and geese. I don't feed them; we just enjoy seeing them from afar and let them be. But, yesterday a seemingly disoriented duck wandered onto my driveway and just wouldn't leave. She seemed out of it, so I brought her a little bit of water, which she drank enthusiastically and then bam--she was all over me. I realized then when I got a closer look that she must actually be an adolescent duckling (I'm new to this, so I apologize for offensive terminology). She looks mostly grown but is still growing feathers.

Anyway, it's been almost 24 hours now, and she does not leave my side when I am out in the yard. I have not seen her swim or even go down to the lake on her own. It seems when I am not outside; she just rests underneath the car. I've provided baths and some fruits and veggies. She forages around when we take walks around the yard. I realize these are really social animals. Have I been claimed? I was thinking of getting another duck to keep her company and build a pen for her to stay in at night.

I guess my question is, is that the right thing to do? Should the duck be male/female? Approximately the same age? I'm guessing she is from the lake and wild, is it okay to domesticate her at this stage? It just seems that it already happened, albeit accidentally. And what should I feed her, how much? I'm doing a lot of research, but any suggestions are welcome. There's a lot of information out there, but I have not found much about this particular scenario.
Thanks in advance!

Awww thats so sweet!
Can you post a photo of the duck?
ducks are very social, and i am sure it would appreciate a friend
i am wondering if someone left it there hence why it likes you so much
you will also want to get it some better feed suited for ducks
Purina sells an all-flock raiser that comes in a crumble form (at TSC and other places)
make sure not to ever feed without water, they will choke and die if they dont have water available

WELCOME TO BYC!!!!

Thank you, DwayneNLiz! I attached some pics here. Can you guess how old she is?
bath.jpg
oh hey.jpg
on the dock.jpg

lol, she is so cute! but she could still go either way, if she quacks she is a she, if she sounds like she has laryngitis then she is a he otherwise will get a drake curl by 3 months old
guessing she is about 6 weeks old

peas are also a great treat for ducks as they contain some niacin but not as much as she needs

does she let you touch her? pick her up?
because mallards are a native species hatcheries will remove one of the rear toes

Hi and welcome to BYC - you are in good hands, with DwanyeNliz, so I'll just say hello!

All the best

CT

Ohhh okay! THIS is why I'm here, thank you! She might indeed be a HE. I've been commenting on how raspy her quack is lol.

Yes, she does let me touch/hold her(him?). His favorite thing to do is nap on my feet.

Ohhh okay! THIS is why I'm here, thank you! She might indeed be a HE. I've been commenting on how raspy her quack is lol.

Yes, she does let me touch/hold her(him?). His favorite thing to do is nap on my feet.
ok, thats adorable my ducks just run from me and hide their eggs
i still think someone dumped it in your area and it happened to find you

like i said get it some proper food and some niacin- either in the form of brewers yeast or nutritional yeast are the easiest to find and relatively inexpensive

you can youtube how to voice-sex ducks and it may give you a better idea
either way it doesnt really matter what the gender is if you only have one or two, if 2 males they wont fight over a female, if a male and you get a female then theyll make a happy little couple

I wonder if she was someone's pet and that's why she is sociable. At any rate she seems very happy to have found you. You may also like to check out "show us your house ducks."

Back
Top Bottom