Stray female ring neck pheasant

Until they stopped stocking pheasants here several would show up around my bird feeders every year. Most of them are not predator aware and eventually get taken by raptors. She will balance out the bird feed with food that she forages for, but predators will be the primary concern.

Hello. I just joined bc I Googled what to do when a pheasant shows up in my yard and has remained for two weeks now. I came across a thread here dated 2015 from someone else that similar happened and it was helpful
I live in NW Pennsylvania and pheasants were released approx three miles from where I live for hunting. Shortly after, a female ring neck showed up in my yard eating under my bird feeders. I thought she would eat and move on, but she has remained in my yard. I put hay with my wood pile where she likes to stay and under a weeping tree where she seems to like also. She doesn't seem to like the hay, however.
My concerns are: what should I be feeding her, do they do okay on their own or are they a flock bird, what can I do to keep her comfortable and safe during the snow and cold? My yard is quite sheltered and safe, but I don't know her needs.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much!
you can put out a gamebird food or an all-flock pellet or crumble to give her a little extra over foraging....if she has food, water, and shelter (trees/bushes) she will probably stay around.....you may even have a male show up in the spring!

I have golden pheasants, I give them game bird feed. You could give it to ringnecks too. She may also like mealworms to eat.

She'd need some sort of shelter if it's cold there. She may also feel more protected there.
Thank you, I will go to our Tractor Supply store for some feed.
What sort of shelter? She stays by my wood pile and under a weeping tree that I have. I have put hay out for her in those places, but she doesn't seem to like it.

Thank you, I will go to our Tractor Supply store for some feed.
What sort of shelter? She stays by my wood pile and under a weeping tree that I have. I have put hay out for her in those places, but she doesn't seem to like it.
sounds like the perfect shelter for a pheasant!

you can put out a gamebird food or an all-flock pellet or crumble to give her a little extra over foraging....if she has food, water, and shelter (trees/bushes) she will probably stay around.....you may even have a male show up in the spring!
Thank you, I will go to our supply store for some feed for her. She has plenty of bushes, shrubs, trees, and a wood pile that she seems to like. Oh my, and then I will have baby pheasants!! I didn't plan on that .. lol.

I live in NW Pennsylvania and pheasants were released approx three miles from where I live for hunting.
My concerns are: what should I be feeding her, do they do okay on their own or are they a flock bird, what can I do to keep her comfortable and safe during the snow and cold? My yard is quite sheltered and safe, but I don't know her needs.
Might contact the 'releasers' or the DNR to find out what is the best way to address her 'needs'. Feeding her anything might not be the best idea.

Until they stopped stocking pheasants here several would show up around my bird feeders every year. Most of them are not predator aware and eventually get taken by raptors. She will balance out the bird feed with food that she forages for, but predators will be the primary concern.
Thank you, my yard is quite protected, but there may be a cat or a hawk that could be of danger. Altho, I am not sure a cat would tangle with that beak of hers! I know nothing about pheasants, but feel I will be getting a crash course!

Back
Top Bottom