Stray kitten hanging around

Farming Frenzy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Kerikeri New Zealand
A few days ago my dad found this helpless kitten in our garage. The garage is always open, but i have never seen any animals in there. The kitten is very cute, and was just sitting there meowing. I sat near him/her and watched it. It is very young, i think. I gave it some ham but it only ate a tiny bit. I gave it some milk... and it drank like crazy. It wouldnt let me near it though. Today i spent a good time with it, because i found out it just hangs around the neighbourhood. It has a mum and brother, but they kinda dumped it so its all alone. It hangs around our house and the neighbours, but i dont think he likes it. Anyway, today i spent a good deal of time with it and it actually lets me pick it up and touch it. It loves pats on the back, and milk! :D i really like it, but im kinda afraid it wont survive. It is very skinny, i can feel its spine. But, it has a round tummy. I call him mustache. :p I know it is a stray, the mum is too. The dad is a stray tom from the woods. I dont know what to do. It looks happy, but not properly cared for and it only lets ME pat it. It is very friendly to me though and im sure it could get used to a good family with no kids. Do you guys think i should continue feeding it or give it to the spca? I am on holiday ( this is actually my grandparents house) and leaving in a few days. I need help, what should i do? here is the little kitten :

A few days ago my dad found this helpless kitten in our garage. The garage is always open, but i have never seen any animals in there. The kitten is very cute, and was just sitting there meowing. I sat near him/her and watched it. It is very young, i think. I gave it some ham but it only ate a tiny bit. I gave it some milk... and it drank like crazy. It wouldnt let me near it though. Today i spent a good time with it, because i found out it just hangs around the neighbourhood. It has a mum and brother, but they kinda dumped it so its all alone. It hangs around our house and the neighbours, but i dont think he likes it. Anyway, today i spent a good deal of time with it and it actually lets me pick it up and touch it. It loves pats on the back, and milk!
big_smile.png
i really like it, but im kinda afraid it wont survive. It is very skinny, i can feel its spine. But, it has a round tummy. I call him mustache.
tongue.png
I know it is a stray, the mum is too. The dad is a stray tom from the woods. I dont know what to do. It looks happy, but not properly cared for and it only lets ME pat it. It is very friendly to me though and im sure it could get used to a good family with no kids. Do you guys think i should continue feeding it or give it to the spca? I am on holiday ( this is actually my grandparents house) and leaving in a few days. I need help, what should i do? here is the little kitten :

A large abdomen but skinny with spine protruding means the kitten is starving and full of worms. At this point, milk would likely do more harm than good (cats might like it, but they lose the ability to digest lactose, milk sugar, when they stop nursing. After they cannot digest lactose, it gives them loose stools). Wet cat food would be best. It would provide the most calories, be easiest to eat, and be most appealing.

The kitten would likely be better off taken to a (no kill) shelter if you cannot take him with you. They will worm the kitten, vaccinate, neuter once old enough, socialize, and place in a home. If you can take the kitten with you when you leave, then he will need wormed, vaccinated, neutered, etc.

Thank you soo much aww I tought it would be good giving him milk! :( I am gping to the vets today for a little work during the holdiays, from 9:30 am-12am and then again at 2:30-6pm . I will bring the litten there if they allow me, in the afternoon.

So sweet! Yes it was a bad idea to feed the kitten regular milk. He looks old enough to be eating cat food. But since he is so skinny he probably won't be used to it. You might want to feed him kitten formula. You should take him to the vet. I would recommend keeping him if he is healthy enough because there are a lot of animals in shelters and it is not a guarantee that he will be adopted. Also if the vet asks if the you want to declare the kitten say no. It will lead to many problems later in his life.

So sweet! Yes it was a bad idea to feed the kitten regular milk. He looks old enough to be eating cat food. But since he is so skinny he probably won't be used to it. You might want to feed him kitten formula. You should take him to the vet. I would recommend keeping him if he is healthy enough because there are a lot of animals in shelters and it is not a guarantee that he will be adopted. Also if the vet asks if the you want to declare the kitten say no. It will lead to many problems later in his life.
I don't understand - what is declare the kitten?

hey guys thanks for your help, i went to the vet they aaid they recently found 5 stray kittens, were able to re home 4. The last is still at the vets, she is adorable and sooo friendly. They said all the shelters and spca are booked. Luckily I was able to find panda (that is what i named her) a good home. :D I got her dewormed and bought a anti-flea/parasite product. She is very cute. The new owner is a neighbour, they wanted to adopt her after seeing me feeding her in the street ( i bought her some kitten food which she loves) and patting her. I feed her in the street because thats the only place she will go/stay. She doesnt like coming inside so i leave a bowl near the house wall. Anways just to let you guys know she is a happy little kitten :)

Back
Top Bottom