Stray Maine Coon cat arrived full of matted fur -- UPDATED PICS!

My Maine Coon was fabulous and missed terribly..
hit.gif

I am sure yours will bring you much love and affection.
clap.gif
to you for taking care of it and loving it.

We've got a massive tabby cat that I swear must be part Maine Coon. He's an awesome cat - very quiet with a LOUD purr. Rudy also lies on his back like that. Is that a breed characteristic? I've never had another cat that did it so consistently.

Why don't you call him Matt, so you'll always remember how much you helped him? Then again, Xavier and Ezekeil are cool names too...

He looks like a kitty poodle. Poor guy. He'll thank you later though.

I also missed this the first time around! Glad you posted follow-up pics! What a handsome guy! What about naming him Leo? You keep calling him a lion cat, and Leo for lion or Leonardo DiCaprio, another handsome guy! LOL! We had a next door neighbor that was French and she named her long haired cat Chat Leon (sp) or Lion Cat in French. I always thought that was cute!

Shelly

He's Beautiful! I have a Maine Coon cat and she lays on her back also, with her feet spread and big belly sticking out, I think it is so cute!

Clearly you are neglecting to rub his tummy every minute of every day, that's your problem.
tongue.png
Handsome boy you got there! Is that his "come hither darling" look?

The meowing thing tends to be a breed trait. My Maine Coon mixes have always done the same, as do many purebred MCs. Just ignore it, think of it like a rooster crow. My current MC mix, Duncan, sits in the window and meows loudly every day between 5am and 6am. Ironically, he stops meowing right about the time the roosters start crowing at 6-6:30am. He will also stop if the dog is awake and making noise. The ones with more MC in their heritage tend to make less of a cat-like meow and more of a Chewbacca grumbling sort of noise.

It helps somewhat to give them attention for being quiet. Not totally. As near as I can tell they are yelling about territory.

Quote:
I second MATT ...... Thats a great idea
thumbsup.gif

That name is funny -- what it stands for too... I had no idea Maine Coons were so unique until I got one. I'd almost call them "sensitive" because they're not at all those snobby independent cats. I've had my first behavioral problem with him recently, and I'm trying to address (peeing and pooping outside the litter box). It's on another thread where people gave me some good advice to try. I think it's partly that he's mad that I'm limiting his access to the house. If there's a single room I won't let him in, it makes him sooooo upset if I go in there and shut the door behind me. Now with his peeing problem, I'm limiting him to the laundry and it seems to be making him worse. I can't even tell you what i've been through the today! But I put his old kind of litter back in the box and am waiting for the response -- I hope that's all it was....

Anyways, it's great to meet all you other MC cat lovers.

Its very possible he did not like the litter. Mine did that when i used a cheap litter. We now use nothing but scoop away. It actually keeps the rest of the box clean. He likes a clean litter box. Scoop away clumps well enough that nothing is left behind. The cheaper clay like stuff not so much. Even though scoop away costs more than some others, it really truly ends up worth it.

Back
Top Bottom