Stray Rooster arrives, just wandered into the yard.

IMG_3071.JPG
IMG_3079.JPG

A couple of pictures, one of his face. if anyone sees anything that indicates illness or parasites please post it. Its the first time I ever received a Rooster in such bad shape and I am not very good with dealing with illnesses. The 2nd picture is after his dust bath in livestock dust. It has that chemical in it that kills mites and lice. He has so many mites/lice that I suspect he needs more treatments. His skin looks a little rough too.

treatment is at 7-10 days for the lice/mites, to get any eggs hatching may take 2-3 to get them taken care of, I would be onery too if was getting bit all the time. You don't know how long he has been out defending for himself either. I would give him some time to relax and learn he's not in danger anymore, a day on electrolytes, and maybe offer an occasional treat. To protect yourself when treating him take an old towel and wrap him so he cannot attack , and hopefully he starts behaving himself.

I don't think he looks that bad health-wise to be honest. :) His feet look sore like he has a few cuts or grazes there, likely from defending himself or just trying to survive, so probably giving those a clean would be my priority. His claws are pretty short so probably he has been moving around a fair bit.

I think I would treat him for mites as you're doing (inc. scaly leg mites) and worm him, then just keep him separate for a while and see how he goes. It would be much easier to handle him when it's fully dark and use a head torch - I am no expert but that's how I always handled our rooster and it was so much easier. Could just pick him up off the perch at night and do what needed to be done, then put him back, and he stayed calm.

I think I would be hesitant about covering the open wounds on his feet in vaseline personally.

I inspected him today, no mites, I will treat him again next weekend. he skin did not look to be in great shape. However with high protein feeds and treatments for mites/lice he should recover. He really stinks like a stray cat. I am hoping he gets that fixed to. I did not treat his feet yet but they looked a little better today. His poops looked really good today. he only pecked me once today and let me handle him a bit so I could inspect him a little better. and to think 3 years ago I was afraid to handle a rooster. I handle them just fine now. Killing the mites sure did a good job on his temperament. I am hoping to get his Pen set up for him. By the time he is completely rid of all his parasites, illnesses and injuries the 2 Black Copper Maran females in the brooder will be ready to move in with him. They are about 4 weeks old now.. maybe 5.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to deworm a chicken?

I may start up a thread in a different section about his life on the urban homestead.

I inspected him today, no mites, I will treat him again next weekend. he skin did not look to be in great shape. However with high protein feeds and treatments for mites/lice he should recover. He really stinks like a stray cat. I am hoping he gets that fixed to. I did not treat his feet yet but they looked a little better today. His poops looked really good today. he only pecked me once today and let me handle him a bit so I could inspect him a little better. and to think 3 years ago I was afraid to handle a rooster. I handle them just fine now. Killing the mites sure did a good job on his temperament. I am hoping to get his Pen set up for him. By the time he is completely rid of all his parasites, illnesses and injuries the 2 Black Copper Maran females in the brooder will be ready to move in with him. They are about 4 weeks old now.. maybe 5.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to deworm a chicken?

I may start up a thread in a different section about his life on the urban homestead.
Valbazen is what they told me to use on the pullets I just got 2 wks ago as they had a heavy worm overload but can't for the life of me remember the dosage as it goes by weight so tagging the dosage queen here.
@Eggcessive

It's getting hard to find Valbazen in a few areas lately. SafeGuard goat wormer (Fenben) works great though. If I remember correctly, it's about 22.5ml/lb for chickens. Same as for goats or dogs. Matter of fact, I just treated my puppy for giardia (beaver fever) with it and it knocked the bottom out of it. He's been playing in the creek (or what is left of it, and it's stagnant) and caught giardia. Within a day day of giving him safeguard he's is up playing instead of laying around lathargic, and unfortunately back in what's left of the creek. About 2 weeks ago I caught him eating the remains of about a 40 lbs beaver he pulled out of the creek. I took it away, hauled it across the road and threw in the river. Now that he's nuts are dropping, he's getting brave. Twice I've caught him going down the creek, under the bridge at the road and getting in the river.
Tmi.
Anyway, SafeGuard goat wormer is about 1/4 of the price of some other wormers and makes the magic happen for wormy birds too!

Is getting hard to find Valbazen in a few areas lately. SafeGuard goat wormer works great though. If I remember correctly, it's about 22.5ml/lb for chickens. Same as for goats or dogs. Matter of fact, I just treated my puppy for giardia (beaver fever) with it and it knocked the bottom out of it. He's been playing in the creek (or what is left of it, and it's stagnant) and caught giardia. Within a day day of giving him lifeguard he's is up playing instead of laying around lathargic, and unfortunately back in what's left of the creek. About 2 weeks ago I caught him eating the remains of about a 40 lbs beaver he pulled out of the creek. I took it away, hauled it across the road and threw in the river. Now that he's nuts are dropping, he's getting brave. Twice I've caught him going down the creek, under the bridge at the road and getting in the river.
Tmi.
Anyway, SafeGuard goat wormer is about 1/4 of the price of some other wormers and makes the magic happen for wormy birds too!
Just ordered a 500 mg bottle of it from Allivet.com, also the local vet will dispense it for a small dispensing fee then so much per ml. cost me 9.00 from vet to treat 6 pullets, Though I did see they are not shipping to CA for some reason

Back
Top Bottom