Stressed chicks or just needy?

katiegoodrow

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2015
Maine
We have week and a half old chicks in a brooder in the extra living room. They are in a clear box and lately they have been chirping very loudly in the morning until someone goes in to pay attention to them. They have also been running back and forth pecking at the side as if they were desperately trying to get out! I just put a piece of fabric over the side that was exposed to the room wondering if they were just being over stimulated with a busy brightly natural lit room. But I am wondering if there's something else that I should watch out for! Thanks! Turns out baby chicks end up being family once you raise them from tiny babies!

Make sure they aren't to hot or to cold and have food and water. Covering the sides is probably a good idea. I love raising baby chicks. :) (As my expanding coop will tell you! :) )

Last edited:
We have week and a half old chicks in a brooder in the extra living room. They are in a clear box and lately they have been chirping very loudly in the morning until someone goes in to pay attention to them. They have also been running back and forth pecking at the side as if they were desperately trying to get out! I just put a piece of fabric over the side that was exposed to the room wondering if they were just being over stimulated with a busy brightly natural lit room. But I am wondering if there's something else that I should watch out for! Thanks! Turns out baby chicks end up being family once you raise them from tiny babies!

A little more information might help us help you - what size is the box and how many chicks are you raising? When someone goes in in the morning, what do they do - do they fill the feeder/water, for example, give treats or? What is the temperature in the warmest and coolest part of the brooder?

I usually clean the litter, feed, water and pick them up in the morning. They tend to chirp until I do that. But the past few days have like I said been running back and forth a little frantic. There are two of them (one died suddenly the day after we got them) they have plenty of room! I don't have an accurate temp it always seems off. It was 80° in the house yesterday so I turned the 75watt bulb we have off. ( anything more wattage was way too hot) raised it a little and turned it back on before bed since it's still spring in Maine and it's rare we have 80° days. The bulb is maybe 22-23 inches above the litter. They sleep together to the side of the light. Not under it but not on the other side of the cage. The cover did help them from getting excited whenever we walk into the room.

Back
Top Bottom