Stressful week....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ElioraImmanuel, Jan 27, 2012.

1. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    The kids and I came home, Tuesday, to find a piece of fencing down. Two of the neighbor's dogs got into our alpaca/chicken pasture. The dogs took out, at least, one hen and one rooster...and terrified our pregnant female alpacas, the males did get out, but didn't go anywhere. Praise God! All that was left of the hen (an EE) was feathers, every.where. The roo was really torn up. He was a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. The dog prints were everywhere.

DH was out of town. These dogs went after my oldest DD and my DH 3 times the week before. DH spoke to the neighbor, but apparently, he didn't get around to fixing the dog pen. The deputies were out and could do nothing. However, Wednesday, we got a pic of one of the dogs in our barn. So the deputy went to the owner. The owner came over and offered to pay for the chickens and promised to fix the dog pen. I declined his offer and thanked him for his promise. The owner told me, "The deputy said you were the nicest person he's ever had to deal with concerning this type of thing! He told me you weren't angry, either."

I was really glad to know that my self control, calm reaction and friendly attitude had good results! I was an absolute nervous wreck until DH came home!

2. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    Sounds like you have things under control. Sorry about your poultry losses, [​IMG]

3. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully your neighbor will get that fence fixed, but I would definately follow up on it. Mine said he would and never did.

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    You are very tolerant. Dogs that go after me or my kids would not be dealt with in a kind way. I hope no one else gets hurt.Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by