Strictly pet chickens! Anyone??

Quote:
I'm happy to say that you're very wrong about Cornish x being ugly chickens. Mine are bright white and sweet as can be. We call them our gentle giants.
smile.png
(And yes, they're pets, I don't think I could ever eat them after raising them from tiny yellow peeps.)

We too, raise our peeps for the pleasure of it- I have about 2 doz silkies. Unfortunately we are being forced to drasticly reduce the number, as here in the city limits of Sac CA, we are unable to keep any chickens. It seems strange to me that it is permissible to keep potbelly pigs, but no chickens, even if they are pets!

Ivy

We initially got into chickens for the eggs, but it amazing how distinct their personalities are! The thought of eating one...can't even think about it (partly because I am a vegetarian,mostly because it just creeps me out!!). Can't even think about it too long...ech!
sickbyc.gif

Even my little Hillary ,who turned out to be a Hank-what a little character! I am really going to miss him (found him another home -he will be loved and not eaten there,too!).

Mine are pets..

They're spoilt regularly with strawberrys and bread and they have free roam of the garden and house if they wish..

They're my little beauties!

I wont be eating them thats for sure. i highly recommend chickens as pets!

Mine are pets. They all have names. Will all live with us til they die of old age. Will be humanely put down if needed. And buried with respect.
Last winter when it hit the deep negatives in temp here my dh and I went out around midnight and brought all the girls into the house. They lived in the kitchen one night then moved to the basement for nearly two months til the temps leveled off.

I have never been able to eat any of mine either. some people think I'm kind of wierd that way. Because I hunt. but yet can't kill my own birds.

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
all these stories give me the warm fuzzies!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

One winter we had only one bird and we had a third floor in our house that was not finished (no heat) but it never got cold enough to freeze or anything. we put construction plastic down over the floor and tossed hay around on top of it and she lived in our 3rd floor all winter!
tongue.png

Our family thought that was a disgusting thought- but seriosuly we kept her clean and there was no odor.

Chickens are only as dirty as you let them get!

cool.png

All my Polish babies are kept in the house even if some turn out to be Roos though I'm planning to continue keep them inside the house since they'll be strictly pets and for the purpose of eating eggs when my hens start to lay as well as sending 10 fertile eggs and a few extras in case some become cracked or broken shipped to lickskillet's daughter Grace which is the only time that I'm going to do

The day I brought my first chicks home last year is the day I went vegetarian. My chickens (now a flock of four) are PETS the same as my dogs and cats are. They will live out their happy and spoiled lives and then I will bury them same as I would any of our animals. They're not allowed in the house (except for extraordinary circumstances) but have free run of the backyard when we're home. We take such delight in them, they're wonderful to have!

Back
Top Bottom