String training (rooster)

KentuckyRooster

Songster
5 Years
Jul 12, 2017
Kentucky
So I have a flock of 6 serama and 2 gamefowl hens. 3 roosters are in the flock. They are all serama. They get along very well. Top bird is Lil Man, then Bebeep and then Guster at the bottom. The hens, in order of dominance are Black Tie Affair, Serbie, and then Angel. The two gamebirds are still trying to find their spot but I suspect they will settle just under Black Tie Affair.
I also have a gamecock. He's young yet, doesn't even crow. Right now he's really docile and shy. I'm trying to figure out if I should put him into the flock or continue to string train him as I have been in a separate area of the yard, so he will know what it is when he's older and hormones kick in. This is how most gamefowl are housed simply because they cannot be nice to one another (the roosters, not the hens, the hens are quite pleasant. Bossy but fine.). Soon I'll have another coop and he can take that for himself. I do not leave him strung at night I unclip him and put him in his own place for bed.

Ideas?
I do not want to hear that the tie training is mean, it's not. It's a safety thing. He's got plenty of cord to play on. Just trying to make a plan for when he does mature.

If there's other roosters, he'll need his own separate pen, so I'd keep working on getting that ready.

For now, continue with keeping him on the tie out if that's all you have.

If there's other roosters, he'll need his own separate pen, so I'd keep working on getting that ready.

For now, continue with keeping him on the tie out if that's all you have.
that's the plan. His lineage is not known for maturing super fast anyway, but I will continue to tie train him. He is not that offended by it really and for now (before he matures) he has no inclination to fight. I want to have him head the other gamebirds when the second coop goes in. I am getting more hens also when I get the coop up and have space- right now the coop's full especially with the two big game hens.

I had to move him away from the others because one of the serama hens, the TINIEST ONE, was pecking him and he just laid down and pretended to be dead...some game bird. LOL
I am also concerned he could kill a serama if he tried to mate with one, so that's another reason to keep him separated.

Sounds like he's quite young yet.

Give him time.
He is very very young. Just getting his rooster feathers and they don't mature entirely until they're two (when they quit being a stag and start being a cock). It's my first time dealing with the breed, so that's why I'm worried about everything imaginable lol.
He is doing great being tied out.

Back
Top Bottom