STROM COMING

Quote:
Yes... Last night thay were stuck-on-stupid. Last night it rained hard here. I placed a flash light inside the coop facing outward but they would not go in.

My problem may also be my crazy coop and run design! I have a tunnel between the coop and the run, it's about six feet long. Because of some changes in the design I had to make thsi tunnel, crazy ha!

I also think maybe the weather and run is nice enough they just don't want to go back in at night. Also last night was the first time I left them out without placing them in the coop by hand.

Like I said their stuck-on-stupid.
30553_ramclean_078.jpg

i think you might be right. their yard looks awesome! and i'm sure they feel very safe there.

i also think that you're going to have to find some way to light that tunnel when it's time to go to bed. try buying those little press-on lights or extension cord something from the nearest power source. turn it on about a half hour before dusk and then leave them alone and see what they do.

i think i might also try giving them treats only in the coop, so they make a happy association with going to bed in the coop at night.

Ok i left my chickens out in a vary hevy rain once. The wood floor was weat! OMGosh! It was bad and i had meat birds too! It was vary vary vary bad! LOL We had to clean it out in a record 20 min befor the next cell came! I will never do that agen! LOL

Chicken Girl
PS they will be fine in the coop a few days!

If you can swing it, you should get plexiglass for the top of the tunnel- that way it'd be as lit as outside. Our hardware store cuts us sheets to the right size. You can pre-drill holes and screw through it just like you would a piece of plywood.

Another option would be a 'light rope'- it's in the lighting section at Home Depot and similar stores. It's like the mini-Christmas lights in white, but encased in a tube of clear vinyl so it's weatherproof. You get the right length (9', 12', 15', etc.) and just run it through the tunnel and in the coop, and you'll get them like moths to a flame!

I love the wagon wheel!
big_smile.png

Yes, I think the tunnel might be scary for them. Try making it wider so that 2 can get through in opposite directions, and at least have some holes in the top covered with hardware cloth so it is not too dark.

Quote:
WOW! Good thinking.......I have some of that clear rope light. I'll try that. Thanks again

I also like the plexiglass ideal in my tunnel let me try the light first as that will cure two problems:thumbsup

Good thinking, Thanks

I failed, I failed again.

I placed a rope light inside the coop tunnel last night and their just stuck-on-stupid, They will look inside, But they will let it rain hard on top of their heads before they will get out of the rain.

I tried placing bread inside the coop and I can get haft of them back inside but they will not stay inside at night. They wine and sound like they're crying and as soon has I open the door they run out and play like it's the first time they've been out, Acting all chicken like bouncing around and head fighting.

Poor little bozos!! I think if you can give them enough ventilation and have the space, you may need to lock them in the coop for a couple of days- they need to see it as the main 'home.' Perhaps make it the place for food and water, after that.

Back
Top Bottom