STROM COMING

Zuesdude

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
OH
I just put my 10 week old lady's out last Sunday in thier new run and they will not go back into the coop at night and now we have a Strom Coming.

Do you think they will go back into the coop when it starts raining or do I need to put them back in?

I would put them back in and then lock them in for a few days. No matter how sturdy a run is, it can't be as predator proof as a coop, so the coop is where they need to be at night.
If you lock them in for a few days it should re-train their brains to go in the coop automatically at night.
Edited because I can't spell before my first cup of coffee.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Also, 90% of the time when they won't go into their coop at night it's because there isn't any light in there.

If there's a light on inside, then it becomes the most desired place to be as it gets darker outside. Keep their food and water in there and it will more familiar to them and an easier choice to make.

I had to shove mine in their coop for storms to begin with, but now they go by themselves.

Quote:
Hay ChooksChick

Are you saying that they need a night light inside the coop or a 40 watt bulb?
Does it need to be on a timer?

I have a compact fluorescent bulb in the summer, and a 60 watt in the winter (for a little extra heat) on a timer that comes on about 45 minutes before it's very dusky, and then it turns off after it's almost dark.

This time of year I have to adjust the timer a lot because the days are changing so much, but it's enough to coax the new ones in- the coop is the lightest place in the yard, so it's like moths to a flame!

This is often a problem for people when they can't figure out why their birds won't go in the coop at night- chickens have *VERY* poor vision in low light situations.

Quote:
Thank you ChooksChick I will try a light inside the coop. Check back later and I'll tell ya what happen.

Back
Top Bottom