Strong ammonia smell in the outdoor pen area...

Lime for sure, and drainage too. Try rototilling some coarse and fine sand into the soil this fall. Then add the lime as needed. No doubt worse in summer heat.

I am going to try to grow crickets and nightcrawlers in a compost place in center of my pen. Hopefullly a self-sustaining source of protein to replace the insects that have been all eaten by now. The black ants I used to see there vanished within a week of when I let the chicks out into the pen. It is large at 180 ft circumference for 24 birds. I have two shade trees and a sunny area too, so it is balanced, and has a natural slope. It is stinky on still days if I am out there working in the pen. Goes away after rain. Am hoping to be able to keep some grass in there as they graze on it all day every day. AM fencing off 1/3 of it at the end of this month and am rototilling it and seeding it. It was always an area of little grass so I hope to change that. Will use creeping red fescue since it likes shade. I notice that they really like to huddle under the henhouse and I wonder if they will try to lay their eggs there? I meant to close off all access to that area but have not had the time to yet, due to installing fence charger, etc. I am hesitant to do it now that I see that they like it so much under there. There is straw there for them that blew in after I strawed down the area around the hydrant I installed in front of the coop.

Hey, the worms is a great idea! We are planning on trying to raise our own crickets... any thoughts on that? haha.

Yes, the sand will undoubtedly help. There's really only a small, maybe three by three flat area that isn't mostly protected by the coop itself. I think that is the main problem. The rest of the run is on a significant slope. This is a new run, just put in this spring. It still has some grass in most of it.

We were wondering how to keep the sand from just running off and leeching into the yard. Any ideas?

Well what WE did was have like... runner boards if that makes sense around the walls of the run, so it wouldnt get kicked out etc. So they have the run wire <we used a 10x 10 dog kennel, then inside we have the hardware cloth, then thin pieces of wood <iirc its wood> that we ran around the bottoms, maybe about 3 inches tall?

Its mostly to keep the bark and dirt from ending up everywhere...they do love to scratch and kick the dirt so it goes flying!! At least this kind of keeps it in the pen. I have noticed less of a backsplash out side the pen now tho... it doesnt look so bad lol

Might help tho keeping the sand in?

Thank you. Runner boards sounds like just the ticket.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom