Struggles of being an Atheist.

Okay, my policy is never to talk politics or religion - but here I go ...

I grew up in a household that sporadically went to church. When I was married with children of my own, we always went to church, Sunday morning, Sunday evening, Wednesday evening, and sometimes on Saturday afternoon for socials. If the doors were open, I was there. I taught Sunday School, Training Union, and Vacation Bible School. My husband and I had no money to speak of and couldn't tithe, so I tithed my time instead. That church was "embarassed" by us because we were not made of money and didn't drive a nice car. Eventually, we left that church.

Fast forward a few years. Divorced hubby. Fast forward a few more - son was killed in car accident. So many people told me "God has a plan," or "he's in a better place." Made me very angry! Haven't talked to God since.

Now, I have always wondered how the Bible can be true when it is so contradictory with what science has proven. For example, God created the earth in 7 days - how does that explain dinosaurs? Okay, I know, we don't know what his concept of a "day" was. Heard all that stuff before. Have faith, everyone says.

Blind faith doesn't work for me. I can have faith in some things, but there must also be logic.

I find myself doubting there is a God. I just don't have enough nerve to say it. As they say, there are no athiests in a fox hole.

I applaud your courage to share your belief, or disbelief.

I am religious, but I have to say that I find your perspective refreshing. I am a Christian, but my liberal leanings sometimes put me at odds with some other Christians and athiests alike. I have athiest acquaintances who feel the need to push their views and get an odd sense of superiority because I believe in "some magic man in the sky" (their words). The only time I've ever engaged with some of them on the topic it was after a lot of provocation on their part and I'm kind of pleased to say I ended up proving that I knew more about science than they did, so they couldn't use that as a weapon against my supposed "ignorance", and had to admit that not all Christians are "zealous idiots". I can kind of see where their animosity comes from, though, because I know they are mirroring the treatment they recieve from some of the Christian community. I often have to bite my tongue when dealing with conservative Christian relatives and their beliefs and prejudices. I've never really seen the point of being hateful and judgemental. It is enough for me to look after my own soul and let others do the same. I'm fascinated by knowledge of any kind...I love science, philosophy, theology, history, literature...and I have no problem reconciling my faith with what I've learned of the universe There are many religious scientists and academics, so I don't think it is a thing of gaining knowledge and expanding the mind, then leaving behind close minded beliefs. Personally, I have found the work of Marcus Borg amazing in helping me to a more logical understanding of the Bible. Anyway, I hope I'm not intruding, since I'm not an athiest but I just wanted you to know that I can sort of relate to struggles and misunderstandings. I also admire the way you express your athiesm with inteligence and yet no hint of judgment. I think there are intelligent, kind people of all religious (and non religious) beliefs.
Hopefully this thread will not become a problem. But I acknowledge, fully, that it may. I am not creating it in hopes of such an outcome. I would much rather this become a place where those of no religion can come to discuss their struggles in life. Struggles with rejection, misunderstanding, and the like. Personally I could probably write 20 pages worth of my experiences of being atheist. And I have only identified as such for about 3 years now. But I would like to get other non-religious'/atheist's views of life.

Last edited:
OFF SUBJECT--

The word dinosaur came into use in 1842, meaning "great
lizard." So it could not have been written in the bible. The
word did not exist.

It is accepted that the Hebrew words of tanniyn, bahemowth
and livyatha do describe great dragons or lizards.

--------------------

But on the subject, both Canieldronrad and Sjisty cite the well
meaning but trite words of other people as playing a part in
their belief.

Can it be accepted that people (even Spooks) at times say
banal things? At certain times there are simply no words that
anyone can say that will help. Not to belittle anyone, but what
would you have us say? (seriously, if you have a suggestion
shoot it by me.)

It is not blind faith...but a deep faith.

Spook

I'm not trying to uphold any one religion over
another. That would be foolish.

Without doubt there are many members on this
board, and many religions. We are a wide scope
of people.

Spook

"I have always wondered how the Bible can be true when it
is so contradictory with what science has proven. For example,
God created the earth in 7 days - how does that explain dinosaurs?
Okay, I know, we don't know what his concept of a "day" was.
Heard all that stuff before. Have faith, everyone says."

The modern bibles we have--whatever version you're comfortable
with-- is a translation of the original Hebrew writings. Some words
that the original had did not translate well. Or even correctly.

The Hebrew word of "hayah" translated to mean different things.
Used in the creation story, try each of these meanings to see if
it would help explain the "seven days'.

hayah - was, to happen, fall out, occur, take place, to come about,
come to pass, to become, to become like, to be instituted, be
established, to exist, be in existence, to abide, remain, continue, to
stand, lie, be in, be at, be situated, to occur, be done, be brought
about, to be done, be finished, be gone.

It is very possible that the bible--in the original version--would be
much more accurate that modern times give it credit for.

Just as Adam was not meant as one single man. We accept the
story of Adam and Eve, yet we also know it to be wrong. In Hebrew,
"adama" meant "red man" or "earth man"....giving voice to the ideal
that "many mankind" were created at once...not just one single man.

בְּרֵשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ

This is an example of the original Hebrew version. Exactly
what it says I have no ideal. Odds are neither do most of
us.

the language of the bible is called biblical hebrew meaning that the terms are not the same as modern hebrew.

but all hebrew uses root letters. so 'yakov' (jacob) means follows after and the word for heel is ekevיקב are the root letters whichis the part that follows after your foot... etc.

aramit (aramaic) is the ancient language still used by one set of people called 'nash'di dan' from some mountainous area between iran and iraq.
many terms in law and medicine and many provers and phrases are said in armamaic. my name is aramaic meaning wisdom/...בינה./

The words above say: in the beginning, 'g-d' (the initials are used, never the actual word for god is ה') god blessed the sky and the earth...

חייה means 'was'. nothing more.

חי
neans 'lives' or 'life' and is also the number 18 if u want to start with kabbala and geomteria... which is why many people wear the letter chai or add it to their name after an accident or operation or near death experience...
so if you had a child named david levinsky who made it through a terrible illness, you would change his name to david chai levinsky.

btw. im ethnic jewish (eastern european grandparents, new york parents, living on kibbutz in israel), raised ethical jewish (w/o the religious part, just the talmud midrasha as law values and morals) and am budhist in outlook (theravada) frm an early age (jewbo i think they are called in the states)...
here, everyone has to study the old testament, regardless if they are religous or not. our kids were raised using the bible as a historical and metaphorical reference work, religious schools obvioulsy use the book as a religious work... when u live on the land the king david walked and grazed his sheep upon, then everything takes on a new meaning... i am totally not a believer in god, but see myself as part of a nation, and yet also am buddhist and see nothing wrong with that either. jewish religioun also allows for re incarnation , buddhism have precepts that guide you as to how to live properly (mindfuly), similar to the ten commandments but not orders, just a guide. the stutue of buddha is a just a reminder to be mindful, and nothing more, although my husband as a thai buddhist sees things as more 'supernatural', ghosts, spirits, and prays to buddha for lottery numbers etc... but i say to each his/her own. here that is difficult as religioun plays such a large part in everyday life here as it is not separate from state law: kosher , sabbath, holidays etc are all based on jewish halachtic law, not state law. (which irrititaes the **** out of me, but nothing i can do about it. this is where i live... )...

Canieldonrad, your courage is admirable. I respect people of all religious beliefs so long as they're not trying to shove them down my throat. It is nice to have discussions though as long as they remain civil. Personally, I identify as Agnostic. Some things my family have gone through have steered my beliefs, but I've always been the logistical kind of person anyways. I was raised in a Christian household, but we never went to church on a regular basis. The only times we would go were for Christmas or Easter services, which even then those were occasional. Respect should be mutual. I don't judge based on religion, only on what they bring (or don't bring) to the table, as it should be. Do know you're not the only one on BYC with these beliefs... or "lack" of beliefs...?
lol.png

Yes, we need to respect the religions of all people without
trying to shovel our belief as "the only right way". As I said
before, there are many different religious beliefs on this board.
And if we try, we can share and discuss those differences and
perhaps all come away a little wiser.

I thought that was a very interesting post by nok13. Many of us
are stateside, without a thought of how other nations believe.
I will certainly read that one a few more times. Outstanding.

In the original post by Canieldonrad, he said something along the
lines of wanting a place where others could "struggles in life."
Regardless of who you are, or what you believe, we all face struggles
in our life. I would venture to say that we even face much the same
issues.

I know that everyday, I search for the answers for whatever problem
is on my mind. Whether you're a believer, or a nonbeliever, I bet you're
doing the same thing.

Spook

Yes, we need to respect the religions of all people without
trying to shovel our belief as "the only right way". As I said
before, there are many different religious beliefs on this board.
And if we try, we can share and discuss those differences and
perhaps all come away a little wiser.

I thought that was a very interesting post by nok13. Many of us
are stateside, without a thought of how other nations believe.
I will certainly read that one a few more times. Outstanding.

In the original post by Canieldonrad, he said something along the
lines of wanting a place where others could "struggles in life."
Regardless of who you are, or what you believe, we all face struggles
in our life. I would venture to say that we even face much the same
issues.

I know that everyday, I search for the answers for whatever problem
is on my mind. Whether you're a believer, or a nonbeliever, I bet you're
doing the same thing.

Spook
Each persons path IS the "right way"...for THEM.
smile.png

I think you are absolutely right. Everyone struggles with certain things. It's one of the things that makes us human. We think, therefore we worry, wonder and question. I think as long as you do no harm, it's all good. I love learning about different beliefs, and try to hear as much about all religions as possible. Differences make life interesting.

Back
Top Bottom