struggling to breathe

rockwoodchicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
-5 month old plymoth rock hen
-since the beginning of the month she has been making a funny sound that i thought was sneezing. Other then her funny sound she has been fine until Monday she wasn`t walking around the coop just standing in one spot so I went to check on her and she was gasping for breath. I have tried to feel around for her crop but there is nothing there it seems,
I have given her olive oil and massaged her, tried turning her upside down.
i have her separated

-monday night we gave her water soluble antibiotics (so it has been 36 hrs approxc that she has been on them)
-her waddle was very pale on monday night but got some color back yesterday

she is drinking
poop is normal

i also picked up a dewormer that i mix with food.....not sure if i can do antibiotics and dewormer at the same time....

she is still struggling to breathe

I really don`t know what to do....any suggestions

thanks
lisa

Any drainage from her nose? Could it be a respiratory infection? Check for mites or lice as well as these can be toxic to a chicken and can cause them to have trouble breathing that eventually leads to death. Its great that you started her on antibiotics in order to help (smart move
big_smile.png
)

No drainage from her nose and her eyes aren't swollen or anything. She is fine otherwise.....well other then hard to breathe.....last i checked on her she sounded wheezy as well.

I can feel a lump about 1.5 inches under her beak but i am not sure if that is where her crop is????

how long should she be on meds before i see a difference in her breathing??

tia
lisa

What type of antibiotics did you use? I would keep her on them for 5 days to a week. You don't want to keep her on them longer than you need to and risk her getting to dependent on them and having a longer withdrawal period. I would add a little VetRX to what your giving her just because it eases the symptoms and she won't become dependent since it's not a medication. If she doesn't seem to be getting better by the five days I would up the dose of the antibiotics you're giving her and continue it for another 5 days or a week. Of course this will cause her to have a longer withdrawal period but if it helps her i think its worth it. She probably has a minor respitory infection but I wouldn't worry about it to much, I think she will be fine.

i gave her neo-chlor (1 gram to 2.25 L of water).
Local vet said I should also treat her for Coccidia as well at the same time so i am going to pick that up tomorrow.

do you think it is safe to put her back with the others or keep her separate until she is breathing proper?

Mi would keep her separate from the rest of the flock. I don't know much about the side effects of neo-Chlor in the eggs but some anti-biotics make the eggs unsafe for human consumption. I would keep her seperated also on the note that whatever it may be might be contagious.

Back
Top Bottom