Struggling to choose which breed!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jettgirl24, Jan 5, 2011.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    We're moving to a new home this spring with LOTS more room for MORE CHICKIES!!! [​IMG]

I keep thinking about what I want to hatch this spring and it's SO hard!!! Right now I've got 5 Marans from a breeder and 2 BRs + 1BO that are hatchery stock. I'm definitely going to breed my marans to by pretty blue copper roo to see what kind of quality I get. I'm also planning on doing a little experiment crossing between him and my BO, possibly my BRs. The crosses will just be to expand my laying flock. I'll probably leave this mixed flock together (plus a mamma silkie or two [​IMG]) in the layer pen because they get along really well. Once I'm done with the experiment hatch it should be super easy to only hatch babies from the Marans since their eggs can't be mistaken for the ones from the hatchery girls.

But here's where the dilemma comes in... I'm planning on building a coop and run area with 2 sections (plus a brooder area) so I can keep a seperate purebred flock. I've been browsing the hatching eggs section trying to decide what to raise but I just don't know what to do... There are too many beautiful birds to choose from!!! I absolutely LOVE the lavender orps, but there are some mille fleur cochins and duccles in there that are to die for. And those sweet, fluffy, snuggly Silkies... Sooo pretty! How the heck do you guys settle on just one?!?! I want them all [​IMG]

So I'm curious, how did you pick the breeds you wanted to raise and how darn hard is it to keep one (or two... or three) kinds when there are so many gorgeous birds croout there?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Try Them all [​IMG]

3. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I decided to breed lavender orpingtons before I discovered the mille fleur cochins. I could never butcher a cochin, that's why I've decided to stick with the orpingtons for now. Any unhomed roosters can go in the freezer.

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    experiment in your first year with different breeds and pick a standard that you really like and a bantam that you really like.
    [​IMG]

5. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    LUCKY to have so much space! we're city chickens for the time being so we pick breeds based on: tolerating confinement, friendliness to humans and chickens, laying ability and cuteness - in that order. So if you want to do us city folk a favor, breed some nice birds with these qualities!

for now we have BA's, marans, silkie, polish and cochin. If I had more space I'd get BO's, EE's, Favorelles, wyandottes, more Cochins and some white sultans. Oh and more silkies of course. The sultans are horrible layers but they are the friendliest chickens we've ever had - followed us around like a puppy!

6. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Quote:That is my philosophy as well. Keep trying different breeds til you find one you love. My fav is the Delaware, Sussex (light) and the Dorking... But who knows that my change in the future. [​IMG]

7. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Quote:Cochin roosters make really REALLY good soup! [​IMG] Just saying...

8. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I like that philosophy... That means I can just go crazy on all kinds of hatching eggs come February right? [​IMG]

Guess I better buy a BIG bator!

9. AlbionWood

AlbionWood Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    It is hard, isn't it? Just like going through seed catalogs, they all sound great. And, just like with the vegetables, they ARE all great, just in different ways.

So we got 8 different breeds... My favorites are the Delawares, but it is really fun to have a mixed flock with all the pretty colors and different personalities.

10. jettgirl24

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    It is hard, isn't it? Just like going through seed catalogs, they all sound great. And, just like with the vegetables, they ARE all great, just in different ways.

OMG don't get me started on seed catalogs!!! I just got a HUGE full color catalog from Baker Creek Heirlooms... My mind is overwhelmed [​IMG]

So I think I have come up with a slightly different plan than I had before which I'm pretty excited about and should allow me to keep at least two purebreed pens alongside my mixed pen! YAY!

The house we're moving into has the super long rockery/terrace area in front of the horse barn. My mom and I have tried to grow veggies in it but it really hasn't been very productive. It dawned on me yesterday that this could be the perfect place for the coop! My plan is to build a long, raised shedrow coop 8' wide by 24' long. The front of the coop will have support legs and the back will sit up on the terace against the rockery. By having them sit off the ground over the rockery it will save me a lot of ground space so I will have plenty of room for nice big runs. I figure each section of coop should comfortable hold 10 chickens. I'm planning to build one giant secure run, then divide it into three on the inside with a cheaper material like chicken wire. I am hoping we can figure out how to do it with pallets, but only if we can make it look nice. I'm going to be taking in a couple of horse boarders so I want to keep everything looking spiffy [​IMG]

I think I'm going to add 2 silkie hens to my mixed flock and hope they're nice and broody... I think I've also decided on lavender orps for the second pen. Not sure yet on the third, gonna have to keep checking the egg section and see what catches my eye!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by