Struggling with affordability of coop

Pics
Here's our el cheapo solution, which I have posted a time or two on other threads. You can get 275 gallon IBC totes and in just a couple of hours with a reciprocating saw, or dual saw, turn them in to water tight, easy to clean, and cheap chicken housing.
The tanks are about 4x4, and we sometimes put two together like a duplex. My wonderful husband cuts windows and door openings which we cover with wire, or slide plastering lathe over, using the metal container frame to hold it in place when we want it closed. We use scrap 2x4 lumber for roosts which are held in place simply by protruding from the openings made to insert them-you can get the idea. There is a round screw-off fill opening at the top and an open/close drain valve at the bottom of the back vertical wall. The drain makes it a breeze to hose out when necessary, and the top opening is good for hanging feeders, or lights, or whatever you may need. We also put an A-frame roof over the tops of most of ours to shed water and provide shade. These are made from 8' lengths of PVC corrugated roofing sheets screwed to the frame. Cut in half, one $15 sheet will cover one tote with a small overhang on the sides. This is best done with hex washer drill point roofing screws; they are pricey for screws, but make the job much easier.
IBC totes are not too hard to come by used. Just look on craiglist. We use totes that previously held polymer floor coating and do not feel that food grade is necessary as the totes wash out very clean with no residual odor. We sell them at our feed store for $75 bucks, rinsed out and delivered, if in town. Ours we get from a local flooring company just for hauling them away, so maybe call around to find a deal. People use them for all kinds of stuff, including hauling potable water, as many homesteads in our area have no water service and must haul if they do not have a well. They are not predator proof by themselves, but work great inside an enclosed run or, as in our case, surrounded by electric poultry net. Hope this sparks an idea for somebody.

Her is our redneck ingenuity. Please don't mind the mess.... We are currently under construction.... And I have yet to finish painting.....and it been really wet so EVERYTHING is so muddy. IMG_20180223_105009.jpg IMG_20180223_104818.jpg IMG_20180223_104806.jpg IMG_20180223_104744.jpg IMG_20180223_104719.jpg IMG_20180223_104603.jpg

I have two of the Tractor supply coops and truly they are not for rugged areas. Concerned about our 2-3ft of expected snow one month I put them inside an old storage container trailer that I got very cheaply. It has rollup back doors that I added hardware cloth to, and I'll be adding a run in spring.summer. We had some really really horrible ice storms this winter and they were dry and cozy.

There were more pics but they didn't upload. We even found a couple of rabbit hutchs at the landfill that had good bones, just needed new wire so we scabbed them on for a crows nest perch and additional hideaway

Trust me when I say Chickens don't care what it looks like. find used lumber or what ever kind of wood tin you can get and make a coop its not hard to build a box with a door.
Lowes and home depot carry a rubberized roll roofing anyone can put on, if you are able to get on top of your coop.
Their is also the Tin/metal option. My coop isn't a coop its part of my horse barn and my chickens do great.
I believe once you have a basic dry,safe house for your flock. That a safe space for them to roam and be chickens and how well you tend to them is far more important to there health and well being then a fancy dancey chicken house.

Happy Healthy Chickens ! I have about 60 here.
22497210_697648490424725_317271049_o.jpg

The elevated plywood you see the Roosters on is a escape for new birds.I have 3 in that coop/run. because I toss Cockerels in there there and the turkeys are hard on them!

I use metal sheds for coop. Found used on craigslist - $75 and free. 160 sq ft total. I had treated 4x4s to make the base, so I didn't have to spend any money on that, but I did buy 6" galv lag screws to join then together. Altogether a pretty cheap way to go.
SAM_0412.jpg

I use metal sheds for coop. Found used on craigslist - $75 and free. 160 sq ft total. I had treated 4x4s to make the base, so I didn't have to spend any money on that, but I did buy 6" galv lag screws to join then together. Altogether a pretty cheap way to go.
View attachment 1275092
A little paint and a few decorations and this would be nice looking even

Hello! I love your design is there any chance you have any measurements I could use. I too am building my own coop for the first time and I love your design ! Great work and lucky chickens :)
I built a coop for Lucy. I am pretty fearless when it comes to building something. I drew it out, bought materials at Lowe's, and started building. OMG! I had some mistakes and it was a task. Here is a story to give you your laugh of the day.

I have a wonderful solarium, built by my late husband and finished by my son. It is large, 16' x 33'. It is all glassed in, has a concrete floor, a wood stove and a/c. It has 60" French doors, with a 58" opening. But, I digress... I took all of this into account.

The coop was 4' x 8', with a 2' x 4' "apartment". Whatever was I thinking when I bought 2x4's? It could have easily been constructed with 2x2's. The roof was bigger, about 3" overhang on all sides. Still plenty of room to get out of the door.

While reading BYC, I started reading about chicken tractors. Aha! Perhaps I can figure out how to put wheels on the coop so it can be moved. After googling retractable wheels, I knew Lucy's coop needed to have them, too. 10" wheels, four of them, were added. It took me a couple of weeks. I am quite good at drawing plans. Cutting anything with an angle creates a problem. At one point, one end was 48" and the other was 45". WHAT? I put one board inside and the other outside...I had to recut my supports. My big plan was to make one side 42", the other 54". The short side has hinges to open, and a trap door to get to the protected food and water area. The taller side has an entry door. NOTE: I wish I had not been so concerned about saving a few boards and made it taller!

I painted it purple and gold, because I am a Minnesota Vikings fan and my boyfriend is an LSU fan. I lined the apartment and painted everything with two coats. I was so excited and feeling a little full of myself. Until I tried to get it out the door...

I had not accounted for the additional width of the wheels. I did not fit through the doors! I pushed it back in, called my son, and decided to give up for the moment. He came and looked it over and told me that I had additional support on the wheels that could be eliminated. I hugged him and was so excited! I made the changes and was able to get it out the doors! I left it by my screen porch, which had been Lucy's sleeping place. There was hay on the floor and a nice pet carrier that she slept in. She chose to lay her eggs on the front veranda on the loveseat...

Things I would change: use 2x2s instead of anything bigger: use solid wheels because pneumatic tires go flat: built it tall enough to walk in: measure twice or three times and cut only once: be realistic with my expectations. I am a 65 year old retiree. I am not quite as adept as I used to be!

My advice: be fearless: use screws instead of nails, (they can be removed easier): don't get discouraged: measure twice, cut once: take your time and make it an adventure: and have FUN! Be prepared to laugh at yourself! Take pictures!

It's definitely a time vs. money battle. I decided back in September that I wanted chickens and have been researching DIY projects and checking Craiglist, facebook marketplace and our local habitat store non-stop. I've spent $135 so far (including hardware cloth) and am maybe 1/3 through the build. My materials are not the best quality and I'm a newbie with chickens and construction, so we'll see how things actually end up! All that to say, I think you can save a lot of money but you have to be willing to put a lot of time and effort into it. I've been building/planning for 6 months but I am able-bodied with no kids and a car that can fit large supplies! I don't know if I'd be making the same decisions if some of those factors were different! DIYing has been a fun learning experience though!

Back
Top Bottom