Struggling

Robbo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Idaho
We have a chick that hatched 2 weeks ago. It was a shrunk wrapped chick and it never externally pipped because it was so shrunk wrapped. I decided to take action and I did in the right moment because it really wasn't breathing anymore, tiny shallow breaths. Anyway I helped it hatch most of the way and let it sit wrapped in a damp cloth. After 2 days it livened up and kicked the little piece left on free and off.

We named her (fingers crossed) Frankie. She is a Silkie. Anyway... Frankie doesn't seem to be doing well, or all that well like she should be. Is there anything I can do to kick her will for life up a bit? She scratches about for food with the other chicks but doesn't seem to be getting that much. At least it doesn't look like it. She hasn't grown at all. She has 4 toes on left 5 on right. Her feathers are coming in all wonky (no frizzle in her). Anyway... she also has pasty butt. Since she was born. We can't get rid of it. I have to clean her 2x a day. She has gotten so use to it she falls asleep under the warm water. I have them with Chick Start and regular water and save a chick water (electrolytes). Temps are all good. I had been giving her some egg yolk daily as that seems to boost her spirits after feeding it. But I was concerned it could be giving her the pasty butt? But it hasn't stopped since I stopped.

What else could I do... help boost her growth/will.

Sorry, sound like a rough road ahead for you and your little chick, it probably has suffered a bit of brain injury from not enough oxygen, silkies can be either way, some are good others seem a little off, I had one that needed special care her whole life, you sound like you are doing the best you can, not sure what more you can do, I know you said your temperatures were good, I find most pasty butt clears up when I lower the heat a bit. Good luck.

Sorry, sound like a rough road ahead for you and your little chick, it probably has suffered a bit of brain injury from not enough oxygen, silkies can be either way, some are good others seem a little off, I had one that needed special care her whole life, you sound like you are doing the best you can, not sure what more you can do, I know you said your temperatures were good, I find most pasty butt clears up when I lower the heat a bit. Good luck.

Thank You, I might wait a bit to try that as I added more heat for her, I found her off to the side of the heat tonight, cold, crying, not moving much. Took her out placed her on a warm rice pouch and fed her some egg yolk again. She seemed to perk back up a bit once she warmed up again and got something in her belly. Placed her right under the heat source this time and she cuddled up and fell to sleep.

It's like when she wonders out of the heat and gets too cold, she is too weak to make it back even though it is like 1 inch away.

Back
Top Bottom