Stuart loves his hens toooo much

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by laturcotte1, May 17, 2011.

1. laturcotte1

laturcotte1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Stuart is a Barred Rock rooster with 3 Barred Rock hens. Two of which have no feathers left on their backs, parts of their wing areas and I noticed bare spots on ones neck. Yesterday he grabbed the head hen by the neck and made her yell. Their backs have small scabs on them now. Does this guy need more hens or is he being a bully? I'll be happy to get him 3 more. When I had just hens life was so much easier.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Sounds like he needs more hens.

3. squeak1387

squeak1387 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    bronson, fl
    He sounds like he is a roo who likes his women. Time to get him a few more. If you don't have room for more, check out the chicken saddles. It will atleast prevent him from hurting his women.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He needs either more hens or to be separated from the hens with occasional conjugal visits if you want fertile eggs.

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Definitely more hens...ratio I think is 1 roo- 8-10 hens.But if space is an issue I agree with the saddles or separation.

6. jacobsenbd

jacobsenbd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Colorado
    We have a rooster that is doing the same thing and he is with 12 hens. He's "gentle" with 2/3's of them - the other 1/3 look about like what you described. He is about 8 months old. I keep hoping he'll grow out of it. Some of the hens submit to him, some he chases and forces himself on them, and some he just plain ambushes.

We are debating on what our next steps with him are.

DJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by