Stuart loves his hens toooo much

laturcotte1

Songster
9 Years
May 22, 2010
Stuart is a Barred Rock rooster with 3 Barred Rock hens. Two of which have no feathers left on their backs, parts of their wing areas and I noticed bare spots on ones neck. Yesterday he grabbed the head hen by the neck and made her yell. Their backs have small scabs on them now. Does this guy need more hens or is he being a bully? I'll be happy to get him 3 more. When I had just hens life was so much easier.

He sounds like he is a roo who likes his women. Time to get him a few more. If you don't have room for more, check out the chicken saddles. It will atleast prevent him from hurting his women.

He needs either more hens or to be separated from the hens with occasional conjugal visits if you want fertile eggs.

We have a rooster that is doing the same thing and he is with 12 hens. He's "gentle" with 2/3's of them - the other 1/3 look about like what you described. He is about 8 months old. I keep hoping he'll grow out of it. Some of the hens submit to him, some he chases and forces himself on them, and some he just plain ambushes.

We are debating on what our next steps with him are.

DJ

Back
Top Bottom