Which hen to separate

Scchickenmom

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2023
South Carolina
Hi all, last Saturday was a DAY for my flock. I gave away the rooster (only 16 weeks old) and one of the older (still only 22 weeks old) hens got injured. I’m pretty sure she has a broken toe. I’ve tried my best to balance letting her be inside at night to rest and outside during day with the flock so she wouldn’t be rejected. Monday she did fine, Tuesday I felt like she stayed in the coop too much and was very thirsty when I got home from work (I stalk them all day on cameras)

Because of the heat I kept her inside Wednesday and Thursday but still let her out when they were out free ranging in the evening. Last night I wrapped and splinted the toe hoping I could give her enough stability to let her stay out there but the boss Barred Rock hen began picking on her so I brought her back in for the night.

Today I let her into the run while I was doing some things but the bullying got bad so I took her cage outside and put her in it until everyone could free range. Once everyone was out that barred rock started again. When she starts picking others do as well. I got ticked off so I grabbed her up and put her into the cage😬 Have any of you guys ever let your injured hens recuperate in with their mates and kept the bully in a cage separate? I’m trying my best to keep an intact flock and I am not in a position for a house chicken. The cats wouldn’t approve.

Thanks for any advice.

If the "bully" is the lead hen, taking her out of the flock will likely open a new can of worms for you to play with. Everyone might decide to rearrange the pecking order.
I’m guessing she is the lead, she looks like a rooster. Has the larger comb and I think she is responsible for picking on my Polish as well. I really don’t love any of these girls being picked at 😢

If she is such a bully, keeping her separated for a while should give the others some relief.
In case she is still bullying after 7-10 days of being separated, maybe find her a new home as a good leader would look out for and protect the flock members and not bully and harrass them.

Put the one you're introducing in the wire cage @aart mentioned.
You could separate the bully but remove completely from the flock ... Wire cage but not in the coop/run but then you may have the same issue @aart's way is the way to go IMO. I've done it and it works, takes time

Back
Top Bottom