Stubborn poo on butt/belly

Jitterbuggin

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
I have a month old CCL babe with some stubborn pasty butt. I think they got dehydrated when I left them with a sitter for the weekend.

When I got home Monday, I noticed at first that her crop was swollen. Her belly was a bit, too, and belly/vent covered. I got it all off of her vent. Couldn’t get it off her belly. Vent was clear yesterday, swelling in her crop is all gone.

But I can’t get the dang dried poop off of her belly! It is stuck on there soooo hard. I sat there for quite a while trying to get it off with oil last night, but it didn’t move at all. Should I soak her belly in water? Use more oil? Just keep at it? It looks so uncomfortable!

The critical part is the vent opening itself. I know the rest is ugly too, but at minimum, wash the vent open. I usually hold them beside a running stream of lukewarm water, and rub the behind/belly while allowing some water to run down my hand to keep the chick rinsed. Not really a full "bath", the less soaked, the less chance of the chick getting chilled. But a good rinsing is fine. A little dawn liquid can be used, and a blow dryer can be used to fluff it back up, just be extra careful not to burn the chick.
Rubbing a little Vaseline or neosporin on afterward is ok too, if you feel it necessary. A dab of vaseline directly below the vent is very useful to allow the poop to not get stuck in the butt feathers to begin with.

Good luck!

I have a month old CCL babe with some stubborn pasty butt. I think they got dehydrated when I left them with a sitter for the weekend.

When I got home Monday, I noticed at first that her crop was swollen. Her belly was a bit, too, and belly/vent covered. I got it all off of her vent. Couldn’t get it off her belly. Vent was clear yesterday, swelling in her crop is all gone.

But I can’t get the dang dried poop off of her belly! It is stuck on there soooo hard. I sat there for quite a while trying to get it off with oil last night, but it didn’t move at all. Should I soak her belly in water? Use more oil? Just keep at it? It looks so uncomfortable!
How is your chick doing? my chick is 5 days old and we are fighting pasty bum and infected bellybutton. I have applied iodine twice 12 hours apart.

Back
Top Bottom