StubbornChix!

Oh my gosh you guys must be so sick of me...but okay so....when we first moved here, the house came with four pullets (born March) and a tiny inadequate coop inside a run. They were sleeping on top of the coop in the run. We were picking them up and placing them inside every night all while building an awesome coop that is perfect in every way. The new coop is attached to the old run that had the tiny coop in it. We kept the old coop up for like 4 days and each night placed our girls in the new one. Finally Sunday we took away the old coop and replaced it with the platform that it was on (basically a table) and have ordered an old washer wringer thing for them to play on...but the STILL won't go in their coop to sleep! Even now that we removed the old one that they used to sleep on it's roof! Now they sleep on a perch that we have in the run. So for the past two nights I have had to grab them off the perch after dark and put them in the coop. At what point, if ever, will these girls realize that it is nice in there and outside sleeping is for the birds??!?!~?
Could be a week or more. Don't waver. Be diligent. You will win.

lovley chicken coop :love
so from the pictures my understanding is they are roosting on the outside of the RED coop and you want them to go into the red coop at night a sleep? is that correct?
if what im saying is correct then what you need to do is put them in the coop in the late evening as sun is going down and shut the door and leave them in there for a few days with the door shut. after 4 days open it up and let them out.
see what happens. but in the red chicken coop is there a perch in there?
you could also remove the out door perch and then they wouldn't have the option of that roost outside!
Thanks! You were close...there was a smaller brown coop inside the run that they were perching on so we finally removed the old coop. Now they like to go in and out of the new coop and even lay eggs in there but not sleep. I have been putting them inside the coop after they fall asleep and I think what I need to do is coax them in there, like you said, before it is dark, let them perch in there while locked inside. We did that tonight and will the next few nights. Question- you and a few others have told me to lock them in there 24/7 for a few days. How do they not get poop all over the place and get food everywhere and thus bugs etc? I can't picture how that works but you are one of many people who have recommended this.

Lock them in the coop 24/7 for a week.

Yup, this is what I meant. Lock them in there for at least a few days around the clock, as you should have enough room to safely do that.

OMG but won't the poop pile up??

Well, yes, if you don't clean it out at all. The few times I needed to lock my chickens in (to introduce to new coop, and for flooding) I kept up with my usual outdoor cleaning schedule, just inside the coop. I scooped up twice a day and it stayed plenty clean.

Thanks! You were close...there was a smaller brown coop inside the run that they were perching on so we finally removed the old coop. Now they like to go in and out of the new coop and even lay eggs in there but not sleep. I have been putting them inside the coop after they fall asleep and I think what I need to do is coax them in there, like you said, before it is dark, let them perch in there while locked inside. We did that tonight and will the next few nights. Question- you and a few others have told me to lock them in there 24/7 for a few days. How do they not get poop all over the place and get food everywhere and thus bugs etc? I can't picture how that works but you are one of many people who have recommended this.

oh thats great they actually go in their coop throughout the day. Putting them into their coop for a few days and not letting them out wont have them covered in bugs. Remember you will be letting them back out again :) its just to get them roosting in there by them self by locking them in there they will see they will still be safe, and hopefully you wont have to manually do it EVERY SINGLE DAY.
im not sure how to keep the coop clean or what strategies you can use to keep it clean with out poop getting everywhere as my chicken coop is not clean and it very gross but i dont actually touch my chickens hahaha and my coop isnt as new as yours so i dont have to worry haha
anyway give it a go and go from there.

Yup, this is what I meant. Lock them in there for at least a few days around the clock, as you should have enough room to safely do that.

Well, yes, if you don't clean it out at all. The few times I needed to lock my chickens in (to introduce to new coop, and for flooding) I kept up with my usual outdoor cleaning schedule, just inside the coop. I scooped up twice a day and it stayed plenty clean.
Wow okay - if after like 5 days of trying what we did last night (luring them in before dark and shutting the door early enough for them to perch themselves, as opposed to picking them up after dark and placing the on perches inside) doesn't work, I will try this! Do you just stick a bowl of food in there for them? They are okay not to pick and forage and dig etc. for a few days? So sorry all these questions. I am literally brand new and trying to sort through all the stuff I read.

Back
Top Bottom