Stuck in the car with a coke and a duckling

Everose

ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛɪᴏɴ, ʙᴏᴛʜ ʜᴀᴜɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴏʟʏ.
Premium Feather Member
Jan 16, 2021
The Great Country of Texas
Okay so I'm normally pretty good at saving baby animals, but my dad just brought me a duckling from tractor supply that is dying and I only have a coke or water to give it right now. I know it needs sugar for neurological function but would coke hurt it?

I would suggest against giving it any more coke, or any sugary soda drink for that matter. If you can pick up something such as Poly-Vi-Sol (without iron), Pedialyte, or a poultry vitamin such as Nutri-dench that would be more preferred. Additionally, the duckling should be placed in a warm, stress-free envioment. Warm mashed scrambled eggs may prove beneficial.

I don't think mashed scrambled eggs cooked by exhaust fumes would be good for a duckling. The eggs would be preferably cooked at home - the duckling would be preferably at home, not traveling around in a car.
I'm definitely not going to do that to the poor duckling (mostly because it just died in my hands😭)

take some old foil put egg in scramble seal up and put it on the exhaust manifold of your car with the engine running.

I don't think mashed scrambled eggs cooked by exhaust fumes would be good for a duckling. The eggs would be preferably cooked at home - the duckling would be preferably at home, not traveling around in a car.

Okay I'm now going to take this poor baby's body home and autopsy it. I believe it was duck virus hepatitis, it died with the opisthotonus symptoms and everything. Really nothing I could have done for it☹️.

I found most birds die with an arching, backwards head. Electrolyte and fluid deficits are common in ducklings. Bacterial infections can oftentimes be seen as well. DVH is rarer than both of those mentioned.

Isaac 0,
Just out of curiosity why do so many people recommend giving ailing babies scrambled eggs?
Because think about it- babies hatch from eggs, and the eggs have all the nutrients that are needed to literally create a being, so are super healthy and chock full of nutrients to give a failing baby a boost.

Back
Top Bottom