Knightlight

Chirping
Mar 11, 2021
2 year old roman tufted gander. Had been fine up until a few weeks ago. Started crouching as close to the ground as possible without sitting down and stomping his feet as fast as possible, not running, just stomping. Then would wander off like that. Has started standing up like a runner duck, arching forward while standing straight up, and then stumbling backwards like that. Then regains some balance and runs forward. He eats and drinks well. No other waterfowl, out of around 80, are doing this. Their feed is nutritionally balanced by a nutritionist so the levels of vitamins are good. I did try b12 injections and that didnt help, dont know what else I could try for him. No poultry vets and no large animal vets will see birds. It's been frozen for months, no standing water, no moldy feed.

a video would help better describe the situation of what he is exactly doing.
here is a forum about goose behavior not really sure what you are trying to explain but hopefully this helps if not upload a video for more of a visual. since he is eating and drinking and playing fine he is probably happy and healthy but i would just keep an eye on and see if it just a phase or not. hope all goes well sorry i was not much of a help https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/intro-to-goose-body-language-please.509237/

Could be something neurological or maybe a seizure? Maybe something else is going on with him that requires more looking. Just try to keep him comfortable and try giving him more vitamins and minerals. If that doesn't work, try taking him to a vet or place that will safely treat Waterfowl - Poultry

He died, so I guess this is all speculation at this point. I think he got beaten up pretty bad and had some neurological issues. I gave him some selenium/vitamin e paste a few days ago and it seemed to help a little so I had some hope he might turn around. Then his penis prolapsed and he just stopped moving around and eating or drinking. He was dead this morning when I let everyone out. Im not really sad about it, he was kinda terrible, but I wish I could have helped at least. I know he wasnt having any seizures, he was always fully conscious. He had almost no balance however. Its been several days since I gave him the paste, and I only gave him maybe a ml, so Im pretty certain thats not what killed him. I think he was just too far gone already. I did try to get his penis back in, but it just wouldnt stay in, like he'd lost all muscle control to keep it in. Thats when I knew he'd most likely die.

As a reply to IvysAnimals, there are absolutely zero vets within a 100mile radius of me that will see geese other than the University, but they only take them for necropsy.

He died, so I guess this is all speculation at this point. I think he got beaten up pretty bad and had some neurological issues. I gave him some selenium/vitamin e paste a few days ago and it seemed to help a little so I had some hope he might turn around. Then his penis prolapsed and he just stopped moving around and eating or drinking. He was dead this morning when I let everyone out. Im not really sad about it, he was kinda terrible, but I wish I could have helped at least. I know he wasnt having any seizures, he was always fully conscious. He had almost no balance however. Its been several days since I gave him the paste, and I only gave him maybe a ml, so Im pretty certain thats not what killed him. I think he was just too far gone already. I did try to get his penis back in, but it just wouldnt stay in, like he'd lost all muscle control to keep it in. Thats when I knew he'd most likely die.

As a reply to IvysAnimals, there are absolutely zero vets within a 100mile radius of me that will see geese other than the University, but they only take them for necropsy.
I'm sorry....

Back
Top Bottom