Stupid chickens

Mine have a run that is partially covered by Tarp, plus a warm cozy coop to go into. It's pouring down a cold rain and guess where they are? Yep out in the rain all humped up.
roll.png

It is rainy and windy as all get out here - both sets of our babes (bantams and LB's) are snug in their houses! I didn't even bother letting them out this morning. Our yard does not have the best drainage and so even a fairly persistent rain will create puddles at least two inches deep.
And Son just spotted a Jay taking refuge from the rain underneath our chicken house!
lol.png

Weather like this definitely makes me want to expand our chicken quarters so that they can still have plenty of room to dig around and be chickens even during yucky days.

Interesting. I guess I have genius chickens.

They head into the coop or stand under the tarp when it's raining. It's been raining a lot here so I'm thankful they're smart enough to get out of the weather.

Well you chicks in CA pushed the rain over the hills into my yard.
gig.gif
wee.gif

I am always happy to see any precipitation. (we average 7 inches a year)

It is an odd thing for our chickens to see anything wet unless it comes from a hose. Has been raining since 7:30am here and chickens are in coops, dogloos, dog houses and under a raised plywood sheet -- THEY are ready for dry. Horses are dripping wet. The dogs love it.

I was just coming in from the rain to post the exact same thing:lol:. Some of mine are staying in, I was wondering if I should put the others in and close the opening? Funny how us Californians don't know what to do when it rains, nor do our spoiled chickies!!!
cool.png
I'm in Marysville between Sacto and Chico. Stayed up late tarping and lean-tooing cause of the "big storm!" Probably sounds funny to our mid-western and South Eastern brethren! But my "dim" Cali chickens didn't get the forecast I guess. So I stayed home from work to keep an eye on them.
wink.png

The big storm hit us late last night. (Bay Area, Northern CA.) Last year my girls refused the comfort of their coop. I'm sure they're scratching around, hopping over puddles, getting absolutely soaked.

Hopefully our one "special needs" hen doesn't get stranded like she did last year. For whatever reason she wouldn't set foot near water. Well somehow she got herself stuck inbetween several large puddles. I only found her because I thought something was attacking the flock, but no, there she was- squaking and soaking wet. It was like she was demanding that I go pick her up and put her in the coop, where she happily stayed.

Quote:
God bless ya!

You are a good chicken person staying home to look out after them. Did ya tell the boss that you had the “chicken-flu”, and that you had a scratchy throat and you were eggie all over?
th.gif

Quote:
God bless ya!

You are a good chicken person staying home to look out after them. Did ya tell the boss that you had the “chicken-flu”, and that you had a scratchy throat and you were eggie all over?
th.gif

yuckyuck.gif

I relate to the chickens. I love to be out in the rain! I think they do too.
wee.gif

I've calmed down, but when i was younger, i could hardly keep myself inside during the rain. I love it!

So i let them play in it all they want to.
cool.png

He he;) Nahhhh LadyHawke..I told the truth I said I needed to stay home with the kids today! Family sick leave day! Gaaah I hope no one at work reads this!

Back
Top Bottom