Stupid chickens

Well to tell the truth , I myself am afraid to leave the house to run any errands. The wind is starting to blow and the “girls” are coming to the back door with worried looks on their little faces. The storm could very well pass us up or we could get a gully wumper. I just want to be here for them.
fl.gif

Well after the wind kicked up I started thinking maybe I should have left some water in the tarp to weight it down.
A big gust would blow in and the whole covered coop-run unit would inflate like it was going to pop.

My chickens should be thankful they have such a nice owner. I cleaned up the patio yesterday and arranged their house and other things to create a windblock. My DF even dug a trench around our patio to prevent flooding. Our patio has been known to flood and water has seeped into our family room.

Also, I have given the open invitation to come inside and either stay in their crate or on the back of a couch with a sheet. We have only three hens that are more like our family cat then outdoor chickens. So, it isn't a problem if they came inside.

So far they have only gone a few times. They just recently asked to came back inside and go into their crate. (They were frantically pecking on the glass sliding door.) No fighting! No complaining! It must be really bad outside. I guess my chickens might not be stupid.

The electricity has been going in and out all day. My DF just bought some more logs in case it goes out tonight. Still, I am very grateful that I don't live along the coast, foothills or mudslide area.

Quote:
Couple weekend ago, a strong gust blew our banty run over (5 X 10 Chainlink dog run) which was tarped off. I tried holding it down/in place and could not. Two banty girls and I watched it tumble over a 5 year old maple, and into the horse pasture fence and then on into the pasture to land upside down on the tarp covers. Thankfully the fence was just a hot wire, not the no climb wire I have been meaning to put up (
ya.gif
procrastination).

Hopefully your run is anchored?
fl.gif

Wow, you have pampered chickens! What a nice chicken owner you are to let them in the house. How do you get them to stay in the crate?

My DH would have a freaking fit if I let them in the house. Nor would I really want them in my house. Too messy. It's bad enough my dog going in and out on rainy days.

Quote:
It isn't really that messy or smelly. They have always come inside so they know proper house behavior. (Right now they are standing on a sheet on the back of a couch grooming themselves and watching TV. No frantic behavior.) To be honest, our cat box is way more smelly then the chickens crate. Chickens are pretty clean if given the chance. They are much cleaner than parrots or finches. We only have 3 in a Great Dane crate at night. That is more then enough space for them to run around.

Just put timothy grass or some type of odor controlling litter in their crate. We clean ours out everyday. No mess and little smell.

Bringing them just gives me peace of mind. I don't have to worry about predators, bad weather or neighbors.

Mine usually stay in or near "their" chair. I do have to admit that pooping can become a problem but I clean it up quick and disinfect/shampoo regularly.
Something about being in their chair seems to reduce the pooping to almost none.

I let them if a few minutes ago because they were huddling down on the cold concrete.
Here are the spoiled girls as of a few minutes ago:

24691_p1010126.jpg

Is that a NHR? She looks just like mine. Well, mine decided they wanted to go outside again. They will probably be begging to come back inside in a few minutes. The threat of cold, windy and wet weather beats cabin fever anytime.

I would suggest putting a sheet on that nice leather chair before it gets ruined.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom