STUPID Fisher cats. What a horrible afternoon.

chickensbythesea

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Just got back from having our beloved rooster put out of his misery.
He was attacked by a fishercat while freeranging, and it was one of the most upsetting things I've seen, ever. Ripped his end open, took the skin off his side, and left him still alive, but barely.

He was the only one we let ourselves get really attached to, and have had him longer than anyone else in our flock. He was so severely injured, I don't think either DH or I will be able to get that image out of our heads for some time.

How does one catch a fishercat? The best way to kill one without a gun?
I won't use his body as bait, as he was a dear pet, and I dont have a gun or good aim.

Last edited:
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

IM so sorryI. Fishers are very sneaky and smart..I have yet to hear anyone catch one in a trap:( Im sure its been done and I would certainly try..you never know. Have a friend with a gun that will sit and be a sniper for you?

Nobody to do it for us, but my dad thinks his dog could probably find it's den, and then I'll at least know where to start baiting and trapping.

Quote:
We hear a fishercat every once in a while and we saw it in the spring in the general area where he was attacked, and the wounds were clearly from a weasel/fisher. They basically disemboweled him through his rear and mauled in between his legs, and degloved (stripped the skin off) his right leg in the process. His intestines were pulled out, I think the leg wounds were incidental.
I still don't know how he wasn't dead already when we found him.

Since we have a fisher in the woods around us, and it's the most likely predator based on wounds, it's a pretty safe guess.

Sounds like a coon attack to me..

When we had a weasel kill ours they just chewed the heads off(one of them) and drank the blood of all the others...
he.gif

But fishers may be different than weasels??

Back
Top Bottom