Stupid LIVE TRAPS!!!!

OHSpartan

Songster
8 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Ohio
OK, I have tried two different brands of live traps. One local-made by a guy that sells them on comission at the feed store. The other from Tractor Supply, but I don't remember the brand. The first one has an inadequate locking mechanism and they have no trouble escaping once they trigger the trop. The second one has such a terrible trigger mechanism that all the raccoons and opossums in my county are full of apple slices without even triggering the trap!!!!

Any suggestions? Modifications to existing traps that will make them work better?

What about poison? I had the thought today about putting anti-freeze soaked marshmallows in the trap? The trap will keep the birds and dogs out of it, but the coons are already in the habit of stopping in for a snack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Antifreeze, or other poison is not the answer- ever. It shouldn't be brought up or discussed on this message board in my opinion. Try setting the trap in your garage, driveway etc and set it off- see what the problem is. See where you need to make an adjustment. Often you can move the latch to the edge of the catch and have it work more effectively- rather than seating the end of the rod all the way onto the catch that will then allow the door to remain up. You made need to do some slight bending, you may need to do some slight filing. Set the trap off and look for the where the problem is- and go from there. Good luck, Keystonepaul

I will give no further mention of anything but catching predators alive. Your point is taken and appreciated, as I am starting to realize how many kids are on this site and I do want to set a good example.

I am very frustrated with my traps. On the local-made one, I think I will just tie some bells to it and use it up near the house when windows are open. I actually caught the coons in the act of escape one night when it was by my bed room window and a heck of a chatter woke me up. I shined a light out in the yard. One coon was pushing down on the latch while the trapped coon was ramming the door with its head.

The one from TSC....Here are the things I have tried.
1. It looked like the varmits were reaching into the trap and "batting" the bait out without having to enter the cage. So, I wired it to the end of the cage. They gnawed and pushed and still got the bait without triggering the trap.
2. I tied the bait to the trigger, thinking they would pull the trigger, even if they didn't step on it. Well, they ate the string and the apple...without triggering the trap.
3. I wired the apple to the bottom of the cage, and buried the excess wire in the dirt, so they would have to enter the cage to get the apple. They got the apple...without triggering the trap.
4. During all of this I have adjusted the trigger and have it about as good as I think I can get it. It still requires significant weight to trigger it.
5. Last night my plan worked, I switched from apples to layer pellets for feed. I caught a very aggressive male coon. He attacked the cage as I approached, which may indicate it was rabid.

A couple other thoughts I had....one is greasing the hook that holds the door up. maybe a little vaseline or grease will reduce the force required for it to slip off. Second is adding bait (marshmallows, apples, etc) for several days with the trap open in "safe" mode. Once I lull them into thinking it is harmless, they might get careless. I keep a watchful eye for footprints on the latch. Finally, I really like camping...maybe I just tie bells to it and roll out a sleeping bag several yards away. Even if they don't go in the trap, maybe I can catch them outside of it.

PS: akashai, I haven't checked out your link but will do so soon. thanks.

I will give no further mention of anything but catching predators alive. Your point is taken and appreciated, as I am starting to realize how many kids are on this site and I do want to set a good example.

I am very frustrated with my traps. On the local-made one, I think I will just tie some bells to it and use it up near the house when windows are open. I actually caught the coons in the act of escape one night when it was by my bed room window and a heck of a chatter woke me up. I shined a light out in the yard. One coon was pushing down on the latch while the trapped coon was ramming the door with its head.

The one from TSC....Here are the things I have tried.
1. It looked like the varmits were reaching into the trap and "batting" the bait out without having to enter the cage. So, I wired it to the end of the cage. They gnawed and pushed and still got the bait without triggering the trap.
2. I tied the bait to the trigger, thinking they would pull the trigger, even if they didn't step on it. Well, they ate the string and the apple...without triggering the trap.
3. I wired the apple to the bottom of the cage, and buried the excess wire in the dirt, so they would have to enter the cage to get the apple. They got the apple...without triggering the trap.
4. During all of this I have adjusted the trigger and have it about as good as I think I can get it. It still requires significant weight to trigger it.
5. Last night my plan worked, I switched from apples to layer pellets for feed. I caught a very aggressive male coon. He attacked the cage as I approached, which may indicate it was rabid.

A couple other thoughts I had....one is greasing the hook that holds the door up. maybe a little vaseline or grease will reduce the force required for it to slip off. Second is adding bait (marshmallows, apples, etc) for several days with the trap open in "safe" mode. Once I lull them into thinking it is harmless, they might get careless. I keep a watchful eye for footprints on the latch. Finally, I really like camping...maybe I just tie bells to it and roll out a sleeping bag several yards away. Even if they don't go in the trap, maybe I can catch them outside of it.

PS: akashai, I haven't checked out your link but will do so soon. thanks.

The coon wasn't rabid....he was ****** off. Raccoons are not nice critters, maybe as kits but once they are adults, they are all business. Just be very careful when dealing with them or whatever you do once you trap them. Remember, it is really a bad idea to relocate them somewhere else, your opening it up for territory fights, for an imbalance of the other animals, etc.

Sounds like you have some trap-smart raccoons. It may be time to call in the experts.

Yes, raccoons in a trap are nasty, nasty critters. The very few times I've had to handle a live trap with a raccoon it it I did so with heavy duty gloves made for handling wild creatures.

Quick note that rabies is not the only concern. They have other diseases and parasites that can be passed to humans. Chances are not large you could catch something but, there are chances.

Raccoons in Ohio have a parasite that can pass the blood-brain barrier and for which there is no prophylactic. A friend of mine worked for USDA and has spent a good portion of his career tracking the disease around the midwest (PA, MI, OH, WV, IN). He said that all efforts to contain the parasite have failed and they assume all raccoons in Ohio are carriers.

The parasite is pased fecal-oral. Kids are most at risk. If a kid touches coon poo, even if it is dried and old, it can get on their hands. If they eat without washing their hands, the egg is passed to the human digestive system where it can make its way past the blood-brain barrier and into the central nervous system. It is a NASTY, NASTY, NASTY!!! disease.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/janfeb02/fn_raccoon.html

might i suggest a .22 round to the head, followed by cleaning, stuffing, surrounding with sweet potatoes, and baking to a golden brown.
goodpost.gif
Yep I ate it when I was little. Now possum That stuff sucked!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom