Stupid Neighbors Pit Bull (update 2nd neighbors dog attacked person)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds more than a little scarey! CONGRATS on keeping your wits about you and taking action to avoid injury.

My motto, and most state's law, is if I am in fear of my or my loved ones life and have exhausted all avenues of escape.....bang, bang.

Hubby runs out separates them. then they manage to start again so he heaves Kyra over his shoulder and the other dog misses his arm by no less than a quarter of an inch.

Same thing happened to me, but our neighbors dog got one tooth into my forearm. My wife teases me for saving my Duke (chocolate lab), but I'd do the same thing again.​

You should have let your Father use the 30/30. Like the old saying goes,
"Father knows best". I have NO LOVE fir pit bulls and the area I live in will not let anyone kept a pit bull. This area you must have at least five areas, most have fifteen or more. We got together when the count wouldn't pave the road and set down some guidelines. I will say this, had it not been for three pit bulls one day, I would have lost a lot to a bear.
And I do know for a fact that no one within five miles owns one. Still if I see one on my property, it will answer to my two friends Smith & Wesson.

I don't think there is a law in any state that would bar you from protecting yourself from a menacing dog on your own property with lethal force, with that said I have noticed a few big dogs roaming my area and even at 250 pounds don't want to mess with the big rottie that make his rounds so I bought a CO2 powered pellet gun that is kept on the back bbq all the time and when venturing any distance take it with - but it is always handy, since putting up the electric fence one has tested it with great pains, now it walks the perimeter.
If that dog was doing what you say it was on my property to my animals and then turned on me, the phone call would of came second after the shot - thats easy to say without being there but it sure did sound like a scary situation.

The nice thing about a pellet gun is that you can leave it under the grill all the time and don't have to run into the house for the magnum, I don't have kids and the chickens haven't learned to use it yet, but the .177 wad cutter can put a mean hurt on any dog. The gas cartridges will get weak after a few weeks so it is always best to test it from time to time, a 25 pack of cylinders lasts for a year or two and costs about $10 bucks.

A few months ago I broke my ankle and was on crutches when the rottie came into my yard (no fence at the time) he was after my dog, I hobbled out there swinging my crutch, good thing he ran off because you never want to fight a 150 pound meat eater with the only thing that keeps you standing.

I know lol. I wasn't scared though because I know if one runs they become lunch. I was surprised it took a clubbing from a steel pipe without even a shriek or whimper. It just ran to the other larger pen (not moveable by a dog) and started ramming that pen too. Now I won't 2nd guess my decision to use chain link dog kennels again.

Talos I think U and your family have a seriously huge problem on your hands!
old.gif
This can get ugly. We live on farm and have great neighbors and a few small children, however there are some that live next to the main road, where a small farm was subdivided years ago. They seem to go and come, meaning sell their homes and lots more than normal. This is where our dog problem comes from. We don't allow Pits, Rotts, or any vicious type dogs on our property! Children get mauled and killed by this type of dog. NO DOG is worth the life or face of a child in our neighborhood! Some people must think different. The first sign of one running cattle is enough for me. I never go tell or warn them because their "sweet little one does no harm". The dog will never be seen again, Period. He just goes missing and no one knows anything.
old.gif
Trust me these dogs wont change, its what they are bred to do is Fight, Kill and Destroy!
old.gif

I have a pit bull that was bequeathed to me by my 18 year old son when he took off out of state, the dog is about 18 months old and still a puppy. Anyways an hour or so ago he was sleeping on my bed next to an open window with a fan blowing out, the outside storm window fell shut with a fairly loud bang, the dog bolted with tail in legs right past me to the the living room couch - he never looked back. Funny I was on a chicken site reading about ferocious pit bulls and all I could say is I got one more chicken.

Quote:
Many dogs are different. My own aunt owns a Pit Bull and it's the laziest animal I've ever seen. It stays in her house and plops down on visitors and just lays on them. I don't think I've ever visited where it wasn't flopped out asleep on the sofa. Myself, I have no problem with the breed as my own county tried to ban them which I was against because some people like my aunt has hers under control.

I'm against owners that do not take responsibility for larger dogs. Even a friendly dog can jump on someone and either frighten them or cause them to fall. I've seen a near miss happen years ago when another neighbor's friendly dog jumping up on an elderly lady whom had Osteoporosis and nearly fell. This lady had fallen twice before on soft carpet and had broken bones. I would have hated to have seen her fall onto the concrete.

Your dog sounds funny (clown like) by being skittish like that.
smile.png

Last edited:
If the human race had a brain they would quit banning breeds and ban people from owning animals. Treat it like a privilage rather than a right. You mess up and can't be responsible, you lose the privilage of owning "any animal". As much as I hate regulations and such, an animal owners permit would go a long ways towards cleaning up some of these problems.

Heres my last rant I swear

I am biased when it comes to pit bulls, but thats the nature of an owner, only having one recently "forced" on me and never owning one before, I read everything I could for months on every website that made mention of them. I found that media sensationalism was a big part of "whats wrong with the breed" if the dog in question even remotely looks like it has 1% pit bull and 99% golden lab the media will always print "pit bull attacks".

What people have said in the other threads about these dogs here are true, first war dog hero, used for handicap help dogs because they don't get mad if you step on them (proved that one myself) number one pet in America at one time, the list is quite impressive. On the dog aggression scale they rank well below most breeds we call docile including collies and poodles.

But this much I will say, they have a catfish mouth full of the most powerful crunchers I have ever seen (I had great danes) there is not a toy I can buy that will last a day, I have gotten him the un-conquerable kong toys - five hours at best then its shredded rubber, the indestructible "original fire hose" in a few hours he has the ends ripped off and by the next morning the fiberglass reinforced Kevlar (bullet proof vest material) is reduced to strings. Bought him the largest 22" rawhide bone I could find - in the same night he pulverized it to chicken feed then ate the whole thing. He eats ice cubes like marshmallows, now I fill up two liter bottles and freeze them just for a chew toy (lasts an hour at best).

I don't know if it's the people of Kentucky or if my boy just looks like a sweetheart but people just love to pet him without question, at the drive-thru they reach into the window, at the store I had a mother with a 2 year old who stuck the kids hand into the slightly opened window so she could pet him - when I saw that I ran back to the car and told her that was not wise - dumb look is all I got. Now he stays at home since its getting hot out and can't have open windows, but he loves car rides.

Somebody thought it would be funny to create such a beast, but with the right master there is no better friend, not just for the owner but for all. In time they will lose the ill-gotten reputation and want for fight through attrition - but until then I rue the day he ever snarls at me.

Of course none of this matters if you were attacked by one as talos was, and yes Kstaven BSL (breed specific legislation) is not a solution, I wish they made parents get a license first before having children, the horrors in child abuse far out weighs all animal attacks.

sorry full moon shining tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom