Stupid question..... farm store chick head marking???

LarissaCluck

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Central Coast, CA
Ok this is probably totally dumb, but heck I'm going to ask it anyway.

I had a rather unsuccessful hatch so I grabbed some various chicks at my local farm store, including some Easter Eggers. I tried to get ones with different markings. One is a peach color, almost white. It had a marker streak on its head.

The lady at the store grabbed "Peaches" for me. I asked if the marker meant it was a rooster, she said no and thought it was marked so it wouldn't get confused with the buff orpingtons in the same container.

Doesn't a marker streak generally mean its a rooster though? Or could they have marked it just to tell it apart?

Either way should be a pretty bird.

68yctc.jpg

Last edited:
I know that Ideal will mark by breed and/or gender for free if you ask. I've also seen the option for other hatcheries with a nominal charge. It just depends on where they bought them and what they requested. I would not presume it to mean rooster.

Hatcheries will mark roosters using that method. They will also "mark" the odd-ball chicks thrown in for body warmers.

You could find out. If you cannot? I'd have to lean toward it marking a roo, despite the "guess" by the worker at the store, who offered an answer, but does she REALLY know? Was she just saying whatever to move things along? Hmmmm..... You'll find out in either way in just a few weeks anyhow.

Our farm sore gets their chicks from McMurray, and they only order pullets. Sometimes the chicks are marked, they will mark the "packing peanuts" they will mark certain breeds to distinguish from similar ones and they will mark others that were ordered specifically for a certain person. It never means they are roos at this farm store.

We have different breeds marked when we get them if there is two similiar breed colors in the same box. The marking on the head is not just to mark roosters. Its also so I know which breed is which so I dont give my customer the wrong breed. We are not a farm store, we are a Poultry Speciality Store, so we have to make sure our chicken breeds are marked with 100% accuracy.

To LarissaCluck: That is not a dumb question at all. I have may customers that come in to buy my chicks that ask that question.

Last edited:
P'Fowls :

We have different breeds marked when we get them if there is two similiar breed colors in the same box. The marking on the head is not just to mark roosters. Its also so I know which breed is which so I dont give my customer the wrong breed. We are not a farm store, we are a Poultry Speciality Store, so we have to make sure our chicken breeds are marked with 100% accuracy.

To LarissaCluck: That is not a dumb question at all. I have may customers that come in to buy my chicks that ask that question.

Thanks P'Fowls! I am hoping that is the case with this one. It's just so pretty, I don't want to have to give it away.​

Quote:
Yes, it mainly just comes down to what you want them to use it for. Markings are for anything you want to keep seperated. When we order sexed chicks we request that both sexes be marked with different colors so it eliminates any and all confusion about what is what.

Back
Top Bottom