Trouble with supposedly female baby chick

May 17, 2023
So, we had gone and got a single baby chick to go along with a injured baby chick we had rescued. Supposedly, the one we got to live with the injured one was female. We made sure they knew we only wanted females (We already have an exceeding amount of roosters in our flock), but as this chick is growing its displaying sort of male behavior?

Recently I saw the chick grabbing food to hold in it’s mouth and chirp for others to come eat from it. I know this is a rooster behavior (unaware if it has a name) and our roosters do this all the time. I feel like this is a tell tale behavior, but I’m not sure. It’s a very adventurous and jumpy chick, really loves to be in someones lap and sunbathe. Very attached to their chick friend who hasn’t displayed any male behaviors. Also, it does not make any sounds when you push down or rub at their back. The other chick who is female does. Not sure if this means anything.

I’m not quite sure what else to say other than also showing pictures.

We got it around July 14 this year, it was maybe a day or two old. It is a blue easter egger chicken. Please let me know if the photos aren’t very good

Attachments

• IMG_8607.jpeg
    IMG_8607.jpeg
    557.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8610.jpeg
    IMG_8610.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7162.jpeg
    IMG_7162.jpeg
    434.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7164.jpeg
    IMG_7164.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 19
That is so cool that some females will call others over for food.
Absolutely normal, we have no Roos in our flock but there will always be a dominant hen/pullet and they act just as a Rooster/Cockerel at times. Our dominant Pullet calls when food is available and also breaks up any other infighting or bullying unless she is the bully of course :)

Back
Top Bottom