Stupid question - how big for a chicken door

RUNuts

Smiling. I'm up to something.
6 Years
May 19, 2017
Swamps of Texas
I searched, but failed. What is best size for the chicken door in a home built coop?
One chicken at a time or better with double doors?
I did finalize on a sliding door. What do you prefer and why? The automated doors intrigued me is the reason I went sliding.
Cheers,

Big birds. Buffs, Leghorns, Barred Rocks and such. First time on this train. Intrigued and doing well - 3 weeks in and time to finish the coop.

I searched, but failed. What is best size for the chicken door in a home built coop?
One chicken at a time or better with double doors?
I did finalize on a sliding door. What do you prefer and why? The automated doors intrigued me is the reason I went sliding.
Cheers,

12 x 12 for banty 14 x 14 lg fowl

Thank you for the replies. Pop door means hinged or trap door through the floor?

Penny - Bat crazy people? Is that like you don't have to be crazy to work here, but it helps? LOL Around here, we're just nuts.

Which style of door? Hinged or unhinged?

Thank you for the replies. Pop door means hinged or trap door through the floor?

Penny - Bat crazy people? Is that like you don't have to be crazy to work here, but it helps? LOL Around here, we're just nuts.

Which style of door? Hinged or unhinged?
Pop door is the term for the door the chickens use. Ours is a sliding door.

Not really any one right answer to this. Are you housing bantam, large fowl, other birds?
I am 99%sure our most recent build had a 12x12 pop door
Ditto that. I've made my pop doors (I have 3 runs that have pop doors so they can interconnect) so the the hinges are at the bottom of the pop-doors - that way the door opens downwards. I did this so that there is no chance of them accidentally closing. Do whatever works for you, would be my advice.

I have a 24" hinged swing out door. My husband isn't very handy, so we decided on this style door, and it was relatively easy to do. The birds are 8wk old Brahmas and a BJG in this pic, so we knew they would be big birds.
Resized_20170604_163156.jpeg

Mine is hinged at the top and I have an eye bolt with a rope tied to it. That rope then runs outside with help from two pulleys to a carabineer at the end. I can fasten it to hold the door in the open position or release it to close the door from outside the run.

I'd rather have an automatic door but haven't sold DH yet on the pricetag.

Oh, and I forget the exact measurement but something like 10x14. The big and fluffy Marans had no trouble at all.

Back
Top Bottom