Stupid Questions Thread

Maybe you can tell me if any fowl can cross breed? I know regular fertilization is probably pretty specific but I saw one of my juvenile chicken roos trying to mount one of my little turkey chicks. He is not going to try that when the turkey hen is mature. But can it be accomplished by artificial insemination? I would love to have a Turken or Chickey, lol.

I struggled with the whole ovation thing at first too. Did you ever learn how?
Firstly, thank you for the compliment. Drumstick Diva answered my stupid question about ovations. You can scroll back but I am going to repeat her instructions for you.....at the bottom of each post you see a little hand with a thumb up. It's kind of like "Likes" on facebook. If you click that, it gives the author of the post an ovation. Apparently, the whole idea behind it is to draw attention to posts that have very useful information in them. What I still don't know is if there is a way to bring up all the "thumbs-up" posts or if you just have to scroll through all the comments and look for them yourself. I wonder if @drumstick diva knows and will tell us.

You really should think of marketing a Chihuahua calendar - your dogs are naturals & you have the wit to go with it.
woot.gif
Well thank you, Diva. My dogs make laughter easy. They are not as fond of their hats as I am though, lol, but they love all the attention it gets them. I will give your idea some thought as I am always trying to raise money for the Humane Society and for rare Childhood Cancers.

Now I am thinking on how to dress up my chickens and turkeys. Maybe we can have a "dress your fowl for dinner" contest?

Last edited:
OKay here goes hope my memory doesn't fade in the middle. If you click on "My profile" (yours- not mine) near top of page far right side. That will take you to your profile page . Under your avatar it will have a menu of items you can click on. In this case you would click on "ovations," it will show any you have received and any comment that was made about your post.

Your directions are right on.....but I really wasn't curious about how many ovations I got or which of my threads elicited them. I want to read the threads of other people that were recognized to be very helpful by their peers. Since I can't go to their profile page and see their ovations, I still don't know if this is achievable.

If Golden Feathers get to hobnob with the Administrators maybe you can ask them if there was a purpose for them....other than the "warm fuzzies" they create....which is a very nice idea in itself....but it would be ultra great to be able to click an Ovations tab where you can read all the posts from that day that the general public thought were super duper, lol.

I'm not certain but, believe the ovations are part of the personal profile - as opposed to the public one that anyone can see. You bring up an interesting point maybe you could post " Nifty Chicken " and ask him.

You have been very helpful Diva. Is "Nifty Chicken" the Grand Phoobah of BYC? If there is a hierarchy of BYC personelle, where do we find it? Please tell me that wasn't a stupid question but if it was, I am in the right thread, lol.

If you are reading this thread Nifty Chicken, maybe you can invent a tab that will direct us to the posts that got Ovations each day. If I type @Nifty-Chicken doesn't he automatically get a notification to come check out this thread? P.S. @Nifty-Chicken check out my nifty Chihuahuas, lol.... oh and check out my idea for formally dressing up your fowl for a seasonal BYC calendar.

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1007244/my-chicken-hurt-her-foot#post_15593622

Here's my stupid question: Can you guys help her? I feel kinda bad for her.
Hopefully, some wise BYC people will click her link and giver her some good chicken advice. As I stated to her, if this was a dog I would suspect a leg injury from the fall. However, birds break their falls by stretching out their wings. Perhaps she landed wrong and twisted or strained a tendon. If this were a dog, after X-rays showed that there were no broken bones, a Vet would stabilize the joint and tell you to rest the dog. I guess for a chicken this would mean keeping her in a very small space to give the injury some time to heal. Legs are very important to chickens because they only have two of them, so you have to figure out a way to keep her from using the sore one.

Is "Nifty Chicken" the Grand Phoobah of BYC? If there is a hierarchy of BYC personelle, where do we find it?

frow.gif

Yup, all the good and bad stuff eventually rolls up (or down) to me! ;)

Admins & Moderators are all listed here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/moderators

If you are reading this thread Nifty Chicken, maybe you can invent a tab that will direct us to the posts that got Ovations each day. If I type @Nifty-Chicken doesn't he automatically get a notification to come check out this thread? P.S. @Nifty-Chicken check out my nifty Chihuahuas, lol.... oh and check out my idea for formally dressing up your fowl for a seasonal BYC calendar.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback!

Back
Top Bottom