Stupid Snow... Thank goodness for the Fireplace!!

Quote:
tongue.gif
Ours is roaring and keeping the furnace from coming on....yeah! It's darned cold out there! So tons of shavings and straw on their perches (we have flat, wide perches), plus meal worms and scratch, full crops, and the chickens are put to bed. You KNOW I will be out there checking on them before I go to bed. Heat lamp or no heat lamp......6F is freakin'
c-c-c-cold...for the PNW anyway.

Last edited:
Quote:
Holy Dungpile! It's been years since I've been in weather that cold. Come to think of it, I haven't been around weather that cold since I FLED to warmer climates at age 17. I've since moved north some, but thankfully it doesn't get that cold here.

I'm griping about a 21 degree windchill with about that for actual temps tomorrow night. My bones are cold now...

I'm trying to keep my cool about my 24 3.5wk olds outside in their brooder. I beefed things up... sssooooo... Here's to hoping they make it through this 10degF (wind chill factored) or lower weather tonight.

Quote:
Holy Dungpile! It's been years since I've been in weather that cold. Come to think of it, I haven't been around weather that cold since I FLED to warmer climates at age 17. I've since moved north some, but thankfully it doesn't get that cold here.

I'm griping about a 21 degree windchill with about that for actual temps tomorrow night. My bones are cold now...

Weather like this makes me want to run away to somewhere warmer!! Thermometer now reads -18 and the wind is howling! Even the horses are stomping their feet now. Poor animals, wish I could bring them inside.
sad.png

Its about -22 degrees C here right now, pretty mild compared to some other parts of the country. Everyone is fine in the shed, the ducks were even swimming!

Quote:
I'd be warming up my garage, shoving the car outside, and bringing the critters inside.
wink.png
I wonder if horses can handle basement steps?

ROFL. No, seriously, I'd be considering using the garage if it were -20 or -30...

Then again, I'm the one with a house rabbit...

15F here now. Going down to 6F, so they say. Bloody cold out there! Chickens seem fine, but still awake pecking at their block. I'm positive it's that infrared light even tho I've been told that doesn't stop them from sleeping. Had to clear out the bottom of their waterer as it was frozen. Ducks are fast asleep in their house. Will do one more check before bed.

These kind of temps are rare for us. Last winter it never broke freezing. A dusting of snow a couple of times, that's it. But even in 'bad' winters, I've never seen it below 25F at night. Then again, I've only been here for 8 years.

This kind of cold happens every so many winters here is the PNW. Last December it was down into the teens for about two weeks, and then didn't ever drop below freezing. It's 14 here right now and I am sure it's going to get colder. I have the girls tucked in with a heat lamp, and I can tell that they are enjoying the extra heat. We got 10" of snow the day before yesterday, and I am praying that it will keep the greenhouse from freezing tonight. Well I need to go off to bed now.

Back
Top Bottom