Stupid Stupid dog

loveacatahoula

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Hephzibah, GA
Our stupid lab broke out of his fenced in yard while I was at work, dug under my chicken coop and killed all my chickens. I understand it is in his blood to be a bird dog, but I am so made at him. I have seriously been thinking about rehoming him because he doesn't get along at all with my daughter's catahoula who was there first, but my DH doesn't want me too. I am so upset over this! My DH told me that this spring we will move and change the design of the coop to keep anything from ever getting in it, but I am not sure I want to start the whole process of raising chicks again. Ughhhh!

Last edited:
hugs.gif

I lost all my chickens to the neighbor's Boston terrier and our own two beagle pups a couple of years ago. It just breaks your heart.
I'm sorry you are going through this. I think your husband is right. Rebuild a safer coop and try again. Chickens are worth the effort.

Why do you have to move to do anything with the coop? I a little supprised your husband seems so nonchalant about it. The chickens must be your thing. A dog with that attitude wouldn't stay here 2 seconds, whether the wife had an opinion about it or not. I won't stand for an animal that thinks he's above my control is gone. Period. That's even includes a rooster. A dog that kills chickens is not doing whats in his blood, he's bored and not getting the attention and training he should be getting. If you're is not willing to put the work in the dog, get rid of im. He will be trouble. Well let's say, he is trouble and will continue to be.

I am sorry to hear that this has happened. Your husband has the right idea, start again in the spring and build a safer coop. Also, spend a little time working with your dog to teach him from the time your chicks are hatched or delivered, to "LEAVE IT". There's a wonderful video on Youtube where the guy demonstrates how to train this. I used it with my Lab, and she is perfectly fine with my chickens.

You are perfectly justified in being mad at your dog. I would be too! However, Labs are very smart, social dogs, but they are energetic and need lots of training. If you don't know how to go about training him, there are tons of websites with good information. There are also trainers out there who will come to your home and work your dog for you. If you can't do this or want to rehome him, please get in touch with the Lab Rescue group in your area and they will find him a good home.

One last thing, Labs are not bird dogs, they are considered gun dogs. They are not killers by instinct and are known to have very soft mouths. The soft mouth means that they don't damage the dead birds that their masters shoot down. They do not kill these birds or even sniff them out.

Good luck with your decisions. I know you are heartbroken, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

We used to have a dog that would kill livestock anytime it got a chance, and every once in a while, it would get a chance. No one in the family wanted to get rid of it. I really enjoy raising chickens. They all think the dog "ran away". Hmmm, you figure it out.
wink.png

Oh, my gosh, I don't know what I'd do! I'd be enraged too. Your husband loves his dog and you loved your chickens. That's a really tough spot to be in.
hmm.png
So sorry. I hope you find a good solution and can share your wisdom with us afterwards, just in case we're ever in that boat.
hit.gif

I am terribly sad about the terror and suffering your birds endured. They lived hell on earth before dying.

I am sorry to add insult to injury but it's important to say what I'm about to say for the sake of any future birds you might have. The anger at your dog is misplaced. The dog is not stupid. The dog is smart. You did not outsmart the dog. The dog was smarter than the system put in place by his humans to protect your birds.

I'm sorry.

JJ

Quote:
Our front yard is fenced in with a traditional fence and reinforced with an underground wire, except on one side. We ran the underground wire throughout the back yard so that when we were outside with the dogs, they could be in the backyard and we wouldn't have to worry about them running off. Unfortunitely, our lab had found our that the one side of the front yard does not have an underground wire on the fence. Thus, he was able to break through. Yes, he more then likely killed the chickens because he was bored. He didn't eat them, just played with them till they quit running. My DH isn't nonchalant, just frustrated. No matter how much effort we put into the lab, he is a blockhead.

Quote:
So very true. I hate to see any animal suffer and the lab is smart to of figured out the weak link in our fencing system. The fence has been up for over a year and we never expected him break through the fence into the unfenced (has underground fencing back yard).

"he is a blockhead" This could very well be true. As a breed, labs are very intelligent. However, my husband's family had two black labradors in succession. The first was a brilliant criminal. The second isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Maybe it's personality, but I could see the difference and I'm not a dog-person. It makes sense to me that each dog is an individual despite the reputation of his breed.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom