Submit your photos! -Standard bred chickens

Pics
I'd actually contact the APA and ABA and ask. I think breed clubs have to get special permission to reprint the Standards, or else they'd probably be more available than they are. Reason being, if it was all available easily online, no one would buy the book.

I guess think of it this way, if an author gives a website special permission to print part of their book on their page, then only that website has the permission. If you then copied that text and put in on your own website, even if you cited the website you got it from, you still don't have the content owner's permission to have it on your site, and that could be copyright infringement.

So since I have to renew my APA membership and I was emailing the APA anyway to ask when my dues were due, and we had this question of whether the standards can be published, I went ahead and just asked. This was the response from David Adkins, the APA secretary:

"...the material in the Standard of Perfection is copyrighted material and cannot be printed/published in any form without the consent of the APA." He went on to say that the president of the APA, John Monaco, should be contacted to ask about permission.

So unfortunately, without the express permission of the president of the APA, and I would assume also the ABA for their standards, the standards cannot be published :( But I guess that answers the question of whether it would be copyright infringement - it would.

So since I have to renew my APA membership and I was emailing the APA anyway to ask when my dues were due, and we had this question of whether the standards can be published, I went ahead and just asked. This was the response from David Adkins, the APA secretary:

"...the material in the Standard of Perfection is copyrighted material and cannot be printed/published in any form without the consent of the APA." He went on to say that the president of the APA, John Monaco, should be contacted to ask about permission.

So unfortunately, without the express permission of the president of the APA, and I would assume also the ABA for their standards, the standards cannot be published :( But I guess that answers the question of whether it would be copyright infringement - it would.
Das what I thought.

Plagiarism...everywhere...
qga4i.jpg

What if I still include pictures, with permission from the owners, and instead of copying and pasting standards I just post links to where standards already are published?
I also note that under the Copyright Protection Act, the use of facts and knowledge gained from personal experience are not protected. In other words, I cannot copy their standards word for word, but I should be able to post my own knowledge of standards gained from observation or experience and I can copy limited amounts of text for use with commentary.
For example, I do not know the standard for MF D'Uccles inside and out, BUT I do have a good understanding of what they SHOULD look like from watching and conversing with judges.

My whole goal of this is to just put all the existing standards in one place so people can find them.

Also, works published before 1923 without copyright in the USA are considered public domain and are free use.

What if I still include pictures, with permission from the owners, and instead of copying and pasting standards I just post links to where standards already are published?
I also note that under the Copyright Protection Act, the use of facts and knowledge gained from personal experience are not protected. In other words, I cannot copy their standards word for word, but I should be able to post my own knowledge of standards gained from observation or experience and I can copy limited amounts of text for use with commentary.
For example, I do not know the standard for MF D'Uccles inside and out, BUT I do have a good understanding of what they SHOULD look like from watching and conversing with judges.

My whole goal of this is to just put all the existing standards in one place so people can find them.

Also, works published before 1923 without copyright in the USA are considered public domain and are free use.

I think linking is probably fine, provided that the original place the standard is posted does have APA permission for it to be up.

I'm not a lawyer though, lol, so I really can't say what's fine and what's not. For safety, you should probably ask the APA and ABA if you can do it that way.

I think linking is probably fine, provided that the original place the standard is posted does have APA permission for it to be up.

I'm not a lawyer though, lol, so I really can't say what's fine and what's not. For safety, you should probably ask the APA and ABA if you can do it that way.
I will email them.
This is going to be a long coming project anyway, so I'm sure it will be resolved one way or another before its completion.

For now just plan on standards being linked.

It's what I was planning on doing in the first place. I don't have the book.
My info was coming from breed clubs and other websites that have standards or variations on the standards posted.
Hmm. You should get the book though. Because all breeders refer to it, not to mention the first few pages you never even saw before. They are amazingly helpful.

Back
Top Bottom