Submit your small coops and cost!

Cost about 150 dollars and a weekend to build.
6236_100_2109.jpg

Door opens in back. Large enough for me to get inside.

I have the foundation done the walls up but only two of them sheeted and the roof decked. I have over $400 into it already...it is 6by10 and full height.

Here's ours, It's a "Garden Coop". Plans are available on line for a few bucks. Total cost of the build was around $600...could have been alot less, but we went for the rustic look with siding instead of OSB etc...

55774_100_0230.jpg

55774_100_0233.jpg

Tracter/coop, total cost of $160.60, including waterer and feeder.

3666613512_56fa658c17.jpg

List of materials and construction pictures on my page.

mine's not done but at the point you see it I'd put in roughly 32$ (i had the run wood already, got a cheap little load of aged oak and hardware cloth for 15$, PVC pipe I had (but its like 0.85 for a 10' pole @ lowes) and then chicken wire was 8$ and a can of red paint -8$) the coop was a crate frame i got from outside a warehouse they were going to dump. screws and nails I already had on hand + power drill and the hammer
wink.png

coopproject5.jpg

coopproject6.jpg

coopproject7.jpg

honestly its all going to depend on what look your going for. I've seen people strip down the good grade pallets and make a frame from pallets, then add on the stripped boards into the spaces and make a very nice looking old fashion clapboard farmhouse looking coop. some have painted theirs, others haven't or have just stained it to look old timey and natural. there are many things you can do to keep your budget low.

Check your local Freecycle and craigslist, post what your looking for in both places, also check scrap yards near you...If you go ahead and plan about what you want your coop to look like Lowes and Home Depot usually cut wood for free or cheap (.20 a piece of lumber) and thats a good plan if you dont have a saw handy, go to the store get your plyboard have them cut it for you and your 2X4's for the frame and run...Get untreated wood and a cheap can of exterior paint (i got mine in red for about 8$ it was premixed the wrong color and so was cheap from the original price of 25$) you can save alot of money.

I've built/assisted in building many things for under 100$ even have used pine trees me and my neighbor cut out of his woods, trimmed them to 8' and buried them in the ground and wrapped wire around them and nailed tin to the sides and top from his scrap pile to add on to his pre-existing coop for a pen for his turkeys total cost - 6$ for cement. everything else, we used what was already on hand.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom