Success on Buying Ebay Eggs?

Steven Seitz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
Just was wondering if there are any good stories about people buying eggs over ebay and then incubating them and having a successful hatch? Is it a good idea to buy eggs over ebay? I am debating on weather or not to buy a few and maybe try my chances.

Just was wondering if there are any good stories about people buying eggs over ebay and then incubating them and having a successful hatch? Is it a good idea to buy eggs over ebay? I am debating on weather or not to buy a few and maybe try my chances.

I have hatched both Chicken and Peacock eggs that I purchased on ebay, but I try to limit the distance they need to travel as much as possible. In other words I sort by distance-nearest first, as opposed to price. I am in PA and have hatched eggs shipped from PA and OH. I have also sold eggs on ebay occasionally and last year I traded some eggs with members here and had 4/6 hatch in CA and 1/6 hatch in KS. It is a bit of a gamble as they can get shaken up pretty bad and with rolling air cells there is little chance for a successful hatch. I can tell you that x-raying and air-travel do not affect hatchability, those are myths. It can be a good way to get breeds that you cannot find near home, just try to keep distance to a minimum, the less time they spend in the PO's hands the better.
wink.png

My 1sy experience buying peacock eggs on Ebay was a total failure. The seller in Scranton, KS shipped the eggs during the hottest week of the Summer. In addition, she failed to notify me that USPS X-RAYs all packages. Of course she refused to refund any money for dead eggs. So buyer BEWARE - especially if it is shipped from Kansas. Never use USPS and never buy from a lady in Kansas - that's what I learned......

Back
Top Bottom