Success on Buying Ebay Eggs?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by Steven Seitz, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Steven Seitz

Steven Seitz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2014
    Just was wondering if there are any good stories about people buying eggs over ebay and then incubating them and having a successful hatch? Is it a good idea to buy eggs over ebay? I am debating on weather or not to buy a few and maybe try my chances.
  2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    I have hatched both Chicken and Peacock eggs that I purchased on ebay, but I try to limit the distance they need to travel as much as possible. In other words I sort by distance-nearest first, as opposed to price. I am in PA and have hatched eggs shipped from PA and OH. I have also sold eggs on ebay occasionally and last year I traded some eggs with members here and had 4/6 hatch in CA and 1/6 hatch in KS. It is a bit of a gamble as they can get shaken up pretty bad and with rolling air cells there is little chance for a successful hatch. I can tell you that x-raying and air-travel do not affect hatchability, those are myths. It can be a good way to get breeds that you cannot find near home, just try to keep distance to a minimum, the less time they spend in the PO's hands the better. [​IMG]
  3. tnlobo420

tnlobo420 New Egg

Aug 11, 2015
    My 1sy experience buying peacock eggs on Ebay was a total failure. The seller in Scranton, KS shipped the eggs during the hottest week of the Summer. In addition, she failed to notify me that USPS X-RAYs all packages. Of course she refused to refund any money for dead eggs. So buyer BEWARE - especially if it is shipped from Kansas. Never use USPS and never buy from a lady in Kansas - that's what I learned......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by