Sudden Chick Death

Palinor

Songster
Sep 10, 2017
Columbia, CA
We went out into the garage this evening to find one of our month old chicks laying dead in their enclosure. They have a heat lamp, the brooder is relatively clean (fresh shavings 4 days ago) their water and food is changed twice a day. The garaged is closed so there's no chance of predators getting in. I have no idea what happened to him. He was fine and then he was gone (I get really attached to my birds). We were thinking of sending him to UC Davis for a necropsy but it's a little costly. Has anyone else had a chick just die for no real reason? I feel like we take care of them the best we can, but now I'm not so sure.

I also lost a chick today, she was only 10 days old. she was weak this morning, and soon passed away. I was heart broken, I have no idea what happened, the other 4 are doing very well. The only thing I noticed was she began chirping loudly at times a few days ago, not sure what to do I would just hold her and she wanted to sleep in my arms. she was eating yesterday and was fine. No signs of Coccidiosis, no pasty butt, nothing, she was just smaller than the others. the only other thing I can think of she was chirping one day and I found her on her back and could not get up. It is heart breaking, I don't have any answers either.

How are the other chicks acting? Necropsies can be really disappointing in my honest opinion. Refrigerate the body, not freeze it! Watch the others for 24hrs max before you make the necropsy decision.
If any others look slow, diarrhea, bloody poo, gasping, or other weird things, definitely send the body in for necropsy. If not, it may be a freak thing and not worth the money. I spent 500$ on a few necropsies and found out nothing at all. Total waste of money.

Freak deaths do happen, it happens to the best of us. I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs

How many chicks are there, and how large is the brooder? Sometimes if the brooder is too crowded, chicks can get squished and die. What type of shavings do you use? Have you successfully raised chicks before in this type of brooder setup? (Same heat lamp, shavings, container, food, etc.) How long before you found him dead did you check on them? (Just trying to figure out how much time he may have had to develop symptoms without being noticed....) Sorry for all the questions, just trying to think of some possibilities. So sorry for your loss, losing chicks can be hard.:hugs

How many chicks are there, and how large is the brooder? Sometimes if the brooder is too crowded, chicks can get squished and die. What type of shavings do you use? Have you successfully raised chicks before in this type of brooder setup? (Same heat lamp, shavings, container, food, etc.) How long before you found him dead did you check on them? (Just trying to figure out how much time he may have had to develop symptoms without being noticed....) Sorry for all the questions, just trying to think of some possibilities. So sorry for your loss, losing chicks can be hard.:hugs
In my situation, my brooder is 3 ft by 4 ft, I have 4 other chicks, they are all fine and just have been thriving and growing better than the chick that died this morning, yes it is heart breaking, she was the sweetest little thing, no bloody poop, all thriving under a mama heating pad, warm garage, pine shavings, electrolyte water, changed several times a day.

I also lost a chick today, she was only 10 days old. she was weak this morning, and soon passed away. I was heart broken, I have no idea what happened, the other 4 are doing very well. The only thing I noticed was she began chirping loudly at times a few days ago, not sure what to do I would just hold her and she wanted to sleep in my arms. she was eating yesterday and was fine. No signs of Coccidiosis, no pasty butt, nothing, she was just smaller than the others. the only other thing I can think of she was chirping one day and I found her on her back and could not get up. It is heart breaking, I don't have any answers either.
I have had a couple die like that. It was a failure to thrive.

How are the other chicks acting? Necropsies can be really disappointing in my honest opinion. Refrigerate the body, not freeze it! Watch the others for 24hrs max before you make the necropsy decision.
If any others look slow, diarrhea, bloody poo, gasping, or other weird things, definitely send the body in for necropsy. If not, it may be a freak thing and not worth the money. I spent 500$ on a few necropsies and found out nothing at all. Total waste of money.

Freak deaths do happen, it happens to the best of us. I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs
Here in California, Necropsy is 20.00 per bird for backyard flocks

www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu

http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/necropsy-and-disease-testing-lab-info.1236884/

fecal float test: https://www.statelinetack.com/item/...epperjam&publisherId=21181&clickId=2464987830

Back
Top Bottom