Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome?

Pics
Early this week I realized one of my chickens was not in the coop when I closed the bird in for the night. I was hoping she was setting somewhere and would be found by morning. No such luck. I began to think it was a hawk as there was no sign of her at all. No feathers, nothing.
Today I found her out on the compost pile apparent had dies suddenly. No signs of trauma, no missing feathers. She was a bantam and only 1.5 y/o. :-(

The same thing happened at my place - twice this month. The first hen was a young one and the last on, 3 1/2 weeks later, was over 3 yrs.
I couldn't find anything on them and the last one was running around, looking just fine about an hour before I found her dead in the pasture. She was still warm and the rooster was hanging around her.

I don't see any unusual chicken cack or anything different with my hens. They're fed layer and household food scraps along with free range in my mostly grass yard.

Any ideas? Thanks. Sarah

I am so sorry for all your losses.
hugs.gif

I too have been through this. I was walking into the coop when I just saw my RIR dead as a doornail on the ground. No blood, feathers, anything?

Maybe, Chicken Cancer, I thought? It seems just as if it was like this.
th.gif

If I can get a answer I will praise the answerer
bow.gif

Once again, sorry for your losses,
hit.gif

The same thing happened to me one of my sussex whites died having for 3 years and then a day later my black Orpington died no damage to the body and they seemed happy enough. Thinking of getting two more (as pets) in a week to keep my others happy. Please can someone offer me ideas. I'm thinking salmon faverolle or/and buff Orpington.

I had one of my layers leg an egg then drop dead without cause. She was a Plymoth Rock. Was happy to read they could die for no reason. She was a year old. I have 5 left and want to add another to the flock. Can anyone tell me if I add one about the same age is that ok, or will the others fight her.
Thanks Much.
Kay
Nashville

Hi Jks103,

If you add a chicken to the flock, even if it's the same age, the others may not welcome it. It can vary between individuals, but when you welcome a new chicken in go slow and keep a close eye on them. Make sure she has enough room to get away if need be. If nothing else, there will be a little bumping and pecking to establish pecking order. Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

My hen was found dead in her house and was stretched straight out like a rub chicken. Was out day before and was fine and playful.I just don't know what happened. Please any ideas

hello, im a chicken lover myself and just lost 3 of the 2 months old they just dropped dead. I called the chicken man I bought them from and he said go to the hardware and get poultry wormer, never done it before, so this is odd. hope this might help . sandy

• I just lost my first chicken today. I saw her roosting under the coop and tried to coax her out but to no avail. I put out some food scraps but she still did not move. When I looked closely, I noticed her breathing was labored. I pulled her out from under the coop and she was limp. She was gone in just a few seconds. She was a year this month, has been the biggest of my clutch and sweetest. I wonder if I should worry about the rest. I have a hen brooding with 9 eggs under her and I wonder if I should move her now. I change the water daily and keep the coop clean of excess feces. Is there anything else I should do.

Back
Top Bottom