Sudden death in hen

jemerson

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2017
My hen is about 1 year old. She seemed fine all day, I didn't notice any illness. A thunderstorm started and I went outside to check on their coop. I found her laying outside the door on her side. She seemed dead but blinked when picked up. She was lifeless but hanging on a little. We brought her in and tries to warm her up. Her crop is full and hard. Her vent is a little bloodied. I don't feel any eggs in her belly. I have no idea what could have happened. My chickens free range and I supplement their diet. I'm not even positive shs's dead or unconscious but there's no sign of life. Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated!

What about coccidia? If she has it, your whole flock does. You can buy some Corid from a farm supply store.

Have any nutri drench on hand? Maybe put her beak in a little bit and see if she tries to swallow.. Don't drown her in it though. I'm so sorry :(

20180515_201142.jpg
20180515_201142.jpg

She's dead. It happened so fast. No lethargy or change in behavior so I'm not sure if that's impacted crop? I found her on the ground by the coop when picked up she blinked and sort of gagged and that was it. She was only alive for a few minutes maybe because she never moved again and we couldn't find a heartbeat. I've never lost a chicken before.

So sorry for your loss. Hens die for many different reasons. Her crop may have been impacted, but it is good to check in the early morning to see if they have emptied. A necropsy can be done if the body is refrigerated and sent in to the state vet for a necropsy. Here is a link for the state vets and some intsructions on shipping.
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

She could have been bullied and kept out of the coop. But not being able to move her legs is strange. Did she have any spasms as she died, or was she already dead when you found her?

Thank you I will check that out. I found her laying lifeless in the rain and all she did was blink and gagged a little when picked up for a few minutes then nothing. Could an impacted crop somehow cause bloody tissue in her vent like I found? Could an impacted crop kill them that quickly? I put a lot of straw out today for the first time in a long time and they went ham in it. I even believe she ate some scratch I threw out today but I'm not positive.

Vent pecking can cause a bloody vent, and a prolapsed vent can look red causing others to pack at it, but it doesn't look like a prolapse. I hada hen who stayed out all night when I thought she was locked up, and she died, either from getting cold or something else could be been going on. Some deaths are mysteries unless you get a necropsy, or do one yourself.

Back
Top Bottom