Sudden Death in Khaki Campbell

Hey everyone! This is my first post on the forum even though I've been stalking threads here for a few months!

Sadly, one of my female Khaki Campbell ducks passed away suddenly today and I am trying to figure out why.

The ducks are almost 5 months old, and they all seem to behave normally. Until recently they were eating a grower feed, mixed with oats and brewer's yeast. They also get treats every now and then and often have free roam of my backyard. I live in a rural area surrounded by hay fields. They have two water sources: a kiddie pool which gets changed every morning and a pond which is cleaned once a week. They like to play in puddles and dig in mud. I change their coop bedding once a week as well.

This morning I noticed the strange behavior: my girl Pip was hesitant to leave our coop. She spent most of the day in the coop, sitting down low to the ground with her eyes closed. I did not see any other signs of disease or discomfort. Because I'm new to duck raising, I assumed she might just be getting ready to lay for the first time. Unfortunately I came home tonight and found her lying dead on her side in the coop. I'm heartbroken and shocked because I don't know what went wrong.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm going to clean out all of the ducks' things in the morning and hope it doesn't spread to the rest of them. :( Any responses are appreciated.
Same thing just happened to one of my khaki campbell females 😓

Back
Top Bottom