Sudden death of a chicken

bugsy

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Our family saved an Australorp from being ran over in an industrial core in October. We are from the City but decided to take this chicken home and keep and raise her as our pet. She was a young chicken. After ALOT of research we made her a coop and fed her cracked corn, "golden harvest" a brand of chicken feed. Occassionally some fruits and veggies. She started laying eggs two months ago, the eggs were perfect, and she laid an egg a day. Yesterday morning we checked on her and she was laying on her nest alive and doing well. We changed her water and made sure her food was topped up. Upon returning home from work 8 hours later we found her on her back dead. We are very devistated to find her dead without warning. She seem so happy and healthy. Can anyone help us understand why this happend???? Please

Sometimes birds do just up and die like that, especially within their first few months of laying.

Were you only feeding that brand of cracked corn, or cracked corn with layer mash?

I'm sorry I cannot be of any help. I do know how frustrating it can be to lose a chicken and not know why it happened. Actually, the same thing happened to me on Tues. Chicken doing fine at 7am, then at 1pm I found her on her side, dead.
Hope someone can help
hugs.gif

we fed her layer mesh also. We made sure her coop had clean dry pine shavings, her nest was of chemical free hay. We also ensured she was free from drafts and also ensured she had oyster shell and grit during this winter month.

Sounds like you did all you can do. It just happens. However, you can contact your local agricultural university and ask them if they will do an autopsy since it is a recent death. That will tell you for sure.

I like to thank you all for replying. I know it happends but just trying to understand why. She brought so much joy to our family for the short time we had her. I would like to get another chicken but I can't deal with the heart ache of loosing one like this.

hugs.gif
It's hard to lose something you love. I honestly think you should think about getting another chicken...better yet get two so they can keep eachother company. Many hens live a long time and you will be amazed at how quickly you bond with them. I'm sorry about your loss...that's sad.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss; it sure does break your heart when you lose a critter that you love so much. But, they bring so much to your life, I sure would hate to hear you decided to never get another one. Two would be nice, like Redfeathers said, for company for each other when you're not around. Hugs!

Back
Top Bottom