Sudden drop in egg production!

Henrysmeme

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 12, 2010
Manchester New Hampshire
I had been collecting as many as 7 eggs a day from my little flock of 7 1 year old Buff Orpingtons and gold laced Wyandottes. Over the last two or three weeks, production has dropped to as few as 3 or 4 eggs a day, and once, only 2! I keep their coop clean, provide plenty of fresh water and invest in good feed. I generally give them a good handfull of scratch when I open their coop in the morning, and they love an occasional treat of yogurt or fresh corn. they are not free-ranged, as we have a red hawk and quite a few owls in the area. I have a neighbor down the road who has lost 3 chickens to the red hawk! They have an ample space under their 4' by 8' coop, and it's attached to a 4' by 8' covered run. I have also added calcium-oyster shell to their feed in the recommended amounts. I "dust' with diatomaceous earth when I clean the coop. It has been raining quite a lot up here in New Hampshire, and it's been chillier than usual, but they laid like stars all through a cold winter. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I should be looking for, or is this normal? I really do appreciate any help you might give me. Thanks!

Hello,
I am new to byc, but what I have read and learned weather can play a big part in chickens laying, perhaps the rain has stressed them a bit.

They are 4 Buff Orpingtons and 3 Golden Laced Wyandottes. I will soon be adding 2 8 week old Silver Laced Wyandottes to the group. I hadn't noticed much in the way of "stray" feathers, but I guess they could be moulting - unless that's being delayed by the chill and the rain? hhhhmmmm....

Oh yeah, my production has dropped nearly in half, as well. The unseasonable extended March-like weather we've had - I believe, has somewhat drained their resources and abilities to keep their egg production high. I think the hens need the longer sunny days of spring and instead we had cloudy dark rainy days for the last month or so. It's just starting, now, to get drier and we're seeing sunlight again.

You've got lots of company.
roll.png

count me in.
Here in SE CT we've had chilly early summer weather. And we no longer have the large light on in the barn with the time to extend the "daylight".
We have red sex links, BOs, SLWs, BRs, and Black Austrolorpes.
Our egg production has been WAY down. Like 25% of normal.
Not seeing a lot of feathers, but could be the start of molt??

Count me in too. Don't know what is going on as the weather, until yesterday, was not too bad. It was really hot yesterday but production has been down for about a week, here in Central PA.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. It's another gloomy, damp, chilly day, and I've gotten 3 eggs. Oh, for some sun! Not just for me and the girls, but my zucchini and potatoes, my basil and grapes! Here's hoping!

Back
Top Bottom