Sudden Growth on Turkey's Back

mimi32q1

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2021
Hi all! I'm currently away at college and my family sends me updates of my pet Broad Breasted White turkey back home. Last night I was sent these pictures and told this growth showed up on his back within the day. My parents let him out in the morning with no sign of it and by the time they brought him in for the night it had appeared. They say it is hard to the touch, even 'rock hard', and the turkey isn't bothered in the slightest by touching it, so it doesn't seem painful/sore. I've been told that there has been no change in size, color, or pain since last night and they turkey is acting completely normal and going about his normal routine today. I did some quick research last night and this morning and the closest thing I could find was air sacs forming under the skin from a rupture, but all the info I found regarding those said they were soft and squishy to the touch which definitely isn't the case with mine's growth. Along with this all he pictures I could find of the 'air sacs' seemed to look really thin and transparent, whereas my turkey's growth looks thick and solid so I do think that can be eliminated as a possibility. I really have no clue what this could be/if there's anything to do, I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance!

Edit: I forgot to mention my turkey is just about a year and a half old! Not sure if this helps any more!
leslie back.jpg
leslie back2.jpg
leslie back3.jpg

Last edited:
Tumors or cysts can be common in all poultry. Abscesses can be a result of an injury or cut. Also an impacted feather cyst can feel firm. Inside those, there might be a little solid yellow pus along with a feather. It looks smooth in the picture and seems to have capillaries or veins, which seems more like a tumor.

Tumors or cysts can be common in all poultry. Abscesses can be a result of an injury or cut. Also an impacted feather cyst can feel firm. Inside those, there might be a little solid yellow pus along with a feather. It looks smooth in the picture and seems to have capillaries or veins, which seems more like a tumor.
I was also leaning towards tumor/growth for that same reason, the veins seem pretty visible. I assume the best thing to do is just to keep an eye on it and monitor the bird?

Back
Top Bottom