Sudden infected eye ??

How would you go about removing that? Q-tip?
You can try working it out with a Qtip.
Sometimes you may need to press it out, it just depends on how much pus and how it's sitting in the eye.

We used to have a link to another really good video of removing pus from the eye, but I haven't been able to find it in a while, maybe youtube or the creator took it down. In the post below Kim linked another one we refer to. Of course there's other ones on youtube as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...thache-kinda-what-is-it.1568053/post-26617463

For video, upload to youtube and provide a link, the BYC upload doesn't work.

Eyeworm is fairly rare in the U.S. where are you located (state?)

Looks like pus in the eye that needs to be removed.
Oh thank God it's not eyeworm!! We are in Oregon.
My next question is HOW do you remove the pus? Ick.

There's a video posted previously.

Keep working at the pus in the eye, sometimes it may take several attempts to get it out
This morning it was oozing a lot and a bit crusty. I tried to poke around and squeeze a bit but it's not looking like pus. If it is then it's stuck to her eye. It's nothing like the video and just seems like I'd be squeezing her eye out. Still rinsing and using ointment as well as the antibiotics.

This morning it was oozing a lot and a bit crusty. I tried to poke around and squeeze a bit but it's not looking like pus. If it is then it's stuck to her eye. It's nothing like the video and just seems like I'd be squeezing her eye out. Still rinsing and using ointment as well as the antibiotics.
Just keeping an eye on it (hahaha) day by day and letting the antibiotics and nature do its best I guess.

Update on my chicken: she's no longer laying but she's acting normal other than her eye.
I've tried to work puss out without success. She barely tolerates me holding her or putting ointment in her eye let alone touching her eye at all.
Does anyone know what's wrong with it? I put her on LA-200 along with b-12 and poultry cell. She gets yogurt and mash and fresh fruit/veggies along with free lol ranging on the backyard, and some flock booster in the water. That treatment helped her to feel better and have more energy and act more like her normal self.
The eye was all white for awhile and this new black part is new as of today.
Is she going to lose this eye? Do I need to put her down? Not sure what to do here?

Attachments

• 56819.jpeg
    56819.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 9
Looks like she has a ball of pus in her eye.
We were able to get almost all of the puss out. But it honestly wasn't much. Almost like a contact lense. When we applied a bit of pressure the whole thing kinda popped some clear liquid out.
The rest is dark in color and moves on its own - which makes us think it's her eye.
We're putting her on another few days of antibiotics LA200 and ofc we washed it and put terramycin in the eye.

Attachments

• IMG_20230603_132331409_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230603_132331409_HDR.jpg
    535.2 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom