1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sudden onset of Heartburn - what causes it?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pbjmaker, Sep 1, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    For the last couple of weeks no matter what I eat it seems to cause heartburn. Anyone have an idea of why? I've never before been a person who got heartburn except maybe every few years. I will probably go to the Dr. but am trying to wait until October when I can have a physical again.

2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Stress or foods that cause a reaction, for me it's like peppers, spices, greasy stuff. But good idea about asking your doctor about it. [​IMG] Hope you get better!

3. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Pregnancy.

----Sanity is like a parachute, just because you lost yours, don't think you can borrow mine.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  4. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    I went to the doc a few years ago with severe trouble. Told me to lay off caffeine, sugars, fatty foods. Anything acidic can be painful to any lining already harmed by the acid juices during heartburn. This includes tea and coffee decaf or not, tomato, citrus....Take an otc heartburn pill helps me now when I have trouble, but at the time I had to go on persciption meds.

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Definitely see your doctor before too long. The acid damage from acid refluex which causes heartburn can be tremendous. Would be a good idea to get your esophagus scoped, just to make sure there isn't damage starting. It isn't really something to toy around with, since heartburn can also be a sign of ischemic heart disease, but this is less common. I know when my former housemate first complained of heartburn, they tested him for the presence of H. pylori, the bacterium that causes stomach ulcers. Sure enough, he had an ulcer, and treatment of the ulcer cured his heartburn.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yippee, you're pregnant!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Stress, foods, a hiatal hernia. Feel better soon. [​IMG]

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:[​IMG]

My diet hasn't really changed, and it would be a miracle if I was pregnant, although Wellsummer wouldn't know that so I won't smack her...

I am sooooooo getting even with you!

On a lighter note - my guineas are due to hatch in about 1 1/2 weeks and look to be growing strong!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

My diet hasn't really changed, and it would be a miracle if I was pregnant, although Wellsummer wouldn't know that so I won't smack her...

I am sooooooo getting even with you!

On a lighter note - my guineas are due to hatch in about 1 1/2 weeks and look to be growing strong!

Oh great! I'm about to take a nap and I'm going to have guinea nightmares again. [​IMG]

9. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Quote:I had the same problem when I was younger, I think I was 12 or 13. I missed a lot of school, and had to go though a lot of test.

10. urban escapee

urban escapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    Have the Doc check your gallbladder, when my gallbladder went bad I started having heartburn and acid reflux.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by